“Shadows” by Scraping For Change

Update: Video updated (2-3 scenes are different, different color grading on the solo performance).

Official music video for Scraping for Change‘s “Shadows” track, from their “Breaking the Silence” EP. Download the video here.

This was my first project where there was a budget, since we clocked 4 hours of studio time (plus 3 hours of more shooting the day before for the storyline part).

Three different color grading styles were used in the video (modified bleach bypass for the solo performance, Hollywood teal for the storyline, modified pastel style for the band performance).

Shot with a Canon 5D Mark II, at 30p (slow-motioned to 24p, story part) and 24p (performances). Lenses used: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 35mm f/2, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM.

Update: Lots of pictures from the shoot.

dorus wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 2:01 AM PST:

Very nice! I am happy to see your knowledge put in to practice. And it is getting you more professional projects.
Did you also do the lighting?

Eugenia wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 2:04 AM PST:

Thanks! We had two big lights at the studio, we had no extra lights for all the “story” shots apart from what the office space we shot at had.

Francis Coral - Mellon wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 5:57 AM PST:

This band is pretty good!! Seems your videos get better and better everytime. This one was my favorite so far.

Glenn wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 7:25 AM PST:

It looks great. You’re definitely getting a nice look from that 5Dmk2! A well chosen selection of lenses too. Although I’m sorry to say I found myself skipping ahead around the 2:30 minute mark. I guess it seemed a bit slow or I was waiting for Agent Smith to appear and do his thing 🙂

The colour grading is nice, but the change at 00:23 didn’t work for me. I know it’s meant to be something different, but I wasn’t sure what. A different time, alternate reality, or a dream? I think it would have worked better if either the shots of him singing were in a different location or he had a different shirt on. Because cutting from one shot to another in the same location with him wearing the same clothes, even with the guys with the beaks, my initial thought was that you hadn’t graded them to match. Or why would it look blue with the beak guys in that location, but not when he’s singing on his own there?
Anyway, I much prefer those abduction shots. Some of those are really nice.

Matthew wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 8:17 AM PST:

Looks great! Nice job with the short DOF (but not too short!) and the color grading makes the whole thing come together very nicely.

madjef wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 9:38 AM PST:

nicely done E. what did you lose for light in the car scenes? Nice big budget look.

Eugenia wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 12:44 PM PST:

>if either the shots of him singing were in a different location or he had a different shirt on

This was my idea too, but the singer had it planned this way, so we went with this.

>what did you lose for light in the car scenes?

A small portable light that someone gave me as a gift last year.

BTW, funny that no one “liked” it. 😉

Francis Coral Mellon wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 3:10 PM PST:

Questions I just saw how many nice lenses you used too! Wowiieeee

Why so many… Are most of them new and you wanted to play around with them?

What is your favorite out of those. I use my sigma 30mm 1.4 on the T2i for almost everything love the image!

bibi88bibi wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 3:18 PM PST:

Nice editing.

Eugenia wrote on March 24th, 2010 at 3:38 PM PST:

>Why so many… Are most of them new and you wanted to play around with them?

No, they all belong to my husband and he had them for a long time. It’s just that I’m now more experienced with them, so I can use the right lens for each scene.

>What is your favorite out of those

His 50mm f1.4 is good enough for me, and the lens that was used the most.

>Nice editing.

Thanks!

Dustin wrote on March 25th, 2010 at 9:12 AM PST:

Very nice. Your productions are starting to live up to your knowledge. Showing you can do this with such a low budget and with very little equipment proves good film making lies in creative thinking, selective shooting, and not so much in high priced equipment. Your love for video and indy music is starting to shine through your music videos.

abds69 wrote on March 27th, 2010 at 1:59 AM PST:

Much much better than the last one !!! So i love the 2 little travelings at the start, very pro, skin tone matched in all the song, the story told, the band singing, the shots of the keyboard and some of the band, the light in the car didn’t bother me it’s homogeneous with the whole. I don’t understand his skin tone at 2:24 completely greenish and different, why you didn’t use more of your traveling, and why the band at the end doesn’t play much louder in term of movements (they seem a bit asleep lol).

I think grading is secondary when you have a story, and uou have one. You should focalize on MATCHING every frame to preserve a unity. Magic Bullet marketing has done many damages in indie movie.

Can you tell us which lens you use according the time-line ?
Well done !!

Eugenia wrote on March 27th, 2010 at 10:22 AM PST:

>I don’t understand his skin tone at 2:24 completely greenish and different

It’s not, it’s the same color grading as on the other scenes in that room. It’s just that the camera is closer to the face so you can see it more.

>why you didn’t use more of your traveling

My Glidetrack is not exactly smooth. It has to be used really slow, and doesn’t have a huge travel. I’d need a real dolly if I wanted more of that effect.

>You should focalize on MATCHING every frame to preserve a unity.

IMO, it’s very matched, per location. I think you’re nitpicking here.

>Can you tell us which lens you use according the time-line ?

85% of it was done with the Canon 50mm f1.4.

abds69 wrote on March 30th, 2010 at 3:00 AM PST:

Thanks, 50mm is great and your glidetrack is enough smooth for me, perfect !!