Fast & Furious grading

I watched the “Fast & Furious” movie tonight, and it was beautifully graded for the most part (its grading was similar to Transformers 2 with saturated red/yellows and teal everything else). However, there was one scene I didn’t enjoy. I didn’t really gave it much thought while watching it, but when I watched the gag reel and they had the same scene, ungraded, then it really popped up in my mind how much natural and nice the ungraded shot was compared to the final one. What do you think?

And this is how I would grade it:

Update: Interesting. The colorist of this movie is the one who did Terminator Salvation among others.

N. Palmer wrote on September 11th, 2009 at 11:13 PM PST:

An interesting find for sure! However, I must say that in all honesty I prefer the graded shot. It simply looks more “movie-ish” to me, which is suppose what many people’s minds subconsiously look for.

Eugenia wrote on September 11th, 2009 at 11:15 PM PST:

I like the teal color in movies too, but I think that this specific scene is over-done.

Andreas wrote on September 11th, 2009 at 11:54 PM PST:

In your grading I don’t like the skin tones. For some reason they do not fit in the lighting of the scene, at least in my eyes. In the theater’s grading I like the homogeneity in colors and lighting they achieved.

Carlos R Dueñas wrote on September 12th, 2009 at 8:11 PM PST:

I think the 3 are cool, just different approaches..

Steve wrote on September 13th, 2009 at 11:02 PM PST:

Personally, I usually find myself wanting to get rid of color-casting, not add it as this colorist apparently did. Not sure what the thinking was to do this, but I’m apparently not wired that way.

Daren wrote on September 14th, 2009 at 10:58 AM PST:

Thanks again for the opportunity to discuss grading.

Personally, I like the original ungraded shot the best.

If I had to pick from one of the two graded results I’d pick Eugenia’s. But it makes the two actor’s skin look Asian. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I mean why have the actor wear a brown jacket if you two are going to grade it right out of the picture? Why do you want to grade things so that they look unnatural? I mean it works great for movies like O’Brother Where Art Thou. But this is clearly not one of those movies that needs strange grading.

Thanks,
Daren

Lee wrote on September 14th, 2009 at 11:53 AM PST:

I like the original the best also. Here is my take on it:

Lee wrote on September 14th, 2009 at 11:54 AM PST:

Sorry, forgot the link.

Daren wrote on September 15th, 2009 at 12:53 PM PST:

Lee, I like it!

Philip Goh wrote on September 16th, 2009 at 1:58 PM PST:

I like the original ungraded shot. As a photographer, I think it looks a lot more natural and isn’t out of line with the style of the movie. Lee’s above is also pretty good, bumping up the saturation and contrast works well IMHO.