Regarding ringtones

I was just reading the ludicrous news about “ASCAP Wants To Be Paid When Your Phone Rings” at Slashdot. We obviously living in some very restrictive times, and I am more liberal than that I am afraid.

But after the initial shock, I kind of liked the idea of not using popular copyrighted songs as a ringtone. In Greece, a lot of people are using some of this terrible pop-bouzouki music as a ringtone. Not only it’s terrible to hear such music over a small speaker when you happen to be next to one such cellphone ringing (it just sounds like noise), but there’s a “feature” where you can enable that ringtone to be head on the OTHER side of the line, while you’re waiting for someone to pick up the damn phone. Basically, having moved to the US, thousands of miles away, doesn’t spare me of the torture of having to listen to that crap.

In fact, the last time I was in Greece (this past May), my cellphone rang using the default Nokia ringtone (which was properly designed to have the right volume/crispiness/frequency to be easily heard). When my mother heard it, she said, “Oy! What is that? What is that stupid sound? Put a good song in there, something from Elena Paparizou.

ASCAP of the world, do save us from pop song ringtones! Don’t let anyone use them!

Alan Hargreaves wrote on June 22nd, 2009 at 9:07 PM PST:

Once you dig through the story a bit, it seems that AT&T said that royalties had been paid for the ring-tones they were providing. However they neglected the bit of the transaction that was to pass any money on to ASCAP.

If I’d downloaded a ring-tone from them with the expectation that the issue had been dealt with, I would be more than a little put out at AT&T.

Alan (who made about enough to buy a cheap dinner from songwriting royalties last year πŸ˜‰

l3v1 wrote on June 23rd, 2009 at 2:26 AM PST:

My problem is, they assume your ringtone is actually someone’s property. It’s like when they make you pay music tax for every pendrive and memory card (they do that here) and optical media assuming you’ll use it for pirated music only. Too broad for my liking.

But, I’d be all in favor of prohibiting all (speaking of broadness πŸ™‚ ) mobile ringtones, everyone should just “vibrate silently” πŸ™‚ Some ringtones are just so bad that they actually cause physical pain when I have to listen to them.

Dominique wrote on June 24th, 2009 at 9:03 AM PST:

That video of Elena Paparizou you linked to is hilarious.
Watching it with sound muted really increases the cheesiness.

Motorcycles, leather bras and baggy pants with satin sheen…what is up with that? πŸ˜‰

Eugenia wrote on June 24th, 2009 at 11:12 AM PST:

It’s the state of culture in Greece.

varometro wrote on June 26th, 2009 at 5:28 AM PST:

No, it’s not the state of culture in Greece. Actually it’s the imported sub-culture from the US. Greek culture has good and bad sides as the US culture has and every culture in the world.

And the default nokia ringtone (properly designed or not) is the most annoying sound in the whole universe.

After all loosing a call because the ringtone is not… “properly designed” is not an issue here in Greece and i hope it’ll stay this way.

Eugenia wrote on June 26th, 2009 at 12:10 PM PST:

>itÒ€ℒs the imported sub-culture from the US.

That’s a poor excuse. Greeks always had the option to reject it, but they didn’t. Paparizou is a big star in Greece. She wouldn’t have been _anything_ in the US, as both her music & videos suck. Britney Spears, possibly her equivalent in the US, has much better music and videos. So it’s one thing to copy, but copying badly, is another.

Jan M. wrote on June 27th, 2009 at 4:47 AM PST:

Sorry, but I doubt very much that these two ladies (Britney or Elena) have ANY kind of QUALITY in their music! The whole thing, as I see it, has to do with publicity and marketing and less with personal talent!
They both suck in my opinion, but since the first one happens to be from US she has more chances to be promoted than the second one, who’s Greek and she will always be treated as a ‘second best’ choice, due to discrimination, basically.
The fact that YOU happen to like Britney more than Elena, does NOT make you an expert, allow me to say!
As for the discussion about subculture I agree with the person above, who claims that this trend comes from US! It’s exactly where all the rubbish comes from and whoever doesn’t see that we are all served trash like that, all over the world, then we are all ‘blind’-and how convenient for our polititians, don’t you think so?

varometro wrote on June 27th, 2009 at 8:35 AM PST:

“Greeks always had the option to reject it”
The influence (good or bad) in the culture of a nation by a stronger (economically, military, politically) nation is pretty much like an invasion. Did Iraqis had the option to “reject” the depleted uranium bombs?

“has much better music and videos”
It’s just a matter of budget my dear… You should know that everything in our days music (and not only) has to do with money. The budget for a Paparizou’ video may be the 1/100 (or less) of a Britney’s video.

P.S. I Don’t like Paparizou or Britney either.

Jan M. wrote on June 27th, 2009 at 9:58 AM PST:

Good that the commentator above (varometro)said exactly the same things I feel about music and politics! As if nations have the option to reject bad music! Pleeease! What a noble thinking!
Wake up people and see what is being ‘served’ to you by the mass media, everywhere in the world. Read a book instead of watching the rubbish that TV serves you!

Eugenia wrote on June 27th, 2009 at 10:22 AM PST:

It is always a choice. Yes, you do have the option to reject what’s served to you. Families can teach their children about these things. To me, it’s all about family values and how strongly a family shows their children what’s what in the world.

Jan M. wrote on June 27th, 2009 at 10:31 AM PST:

If people lived in caves perhaps parents and their good will would have a choice but we don’t! So, let’s wake up from the lethargic dreams and the illusion that is called society and let’s see how little good will can prevail!
From your words I gather that you are NOT a parent! Am I right?

Eugenia wrote on June 27th, 2009 at 10:35 PM PST:

I am not a parent, but I had a good upbringing. If my parents managed it, people who only went to school for 6 years, then most parents should.

Jan M. wrote on June 28th, 2009 at 4:45 AM PST:

There’s no guarantee…If you read the papers you might know of cases in UK, (Haringey, i.e the Baby P. case) where families of low education systematically abused to death their own babies/toddlers, so what does education say about peoples’ behaviour? Nothing! It’s more or less a matter of luck, good and/or bad influences…Nobody can put their finger on and say it’s because of ‘this’, or ‘that’.Life is so complicated and trying to put it into ‘frames’ or trying to find a logical explanation in everything makes the whole thing ridiculous. When you get kids of your own then you’ll see what I mean.