Neck problem

Just came back from the doctor. I have this back of the neck problem for a while now, where my neck will do crackling noises when turning left and right in the area where it attaches to the head, while sometimes I will literally hear the blood going upstream with difficulty (like trying to drink a soda with a bad straw). He suggested an MRI. Not sure if I will do so yet, but I might have to. And all that because of the way I sit in front of my PCs in the past 10 years.

Paul wrote on March 25th, 2008 at 10:21 AM PST:

Don’t know if this applies to you, but never lean forward towards the screen (e.g. putting your elbows on the desk). Too many times I have done this in the past – if you keep doing it over a constant period then it will result in neck pain in the area you describe.

Keep the spine straight and/or lean back in your chair at a slight angle.

Artem wrote on March 25th, 2008 at 11:06 AM PST:

Also check the height of your monitor. You shouldn’t be looking up or down too much (but I think down is better than up). A while back I had back problems from having my monitor too high from eye level. Right now my eyes are level with 3/4 of the way up on the monitor.

Nutela wrote on March 25th, 2008 at 2:31 PM PST:

Same problem here, I’m all crackling 🙂 Looking at the screen the whole day (at the same spot) logically is bad for your health. But I bet you didn’t know that before you had problems. Same here again :-/

Helps: swimming, fitnes / gym, sports in general sitting on a ball instead of a chair. Use a laptop and take it to different places in the house / company, lie down on the carpet with it for example.
I can read much better on my mobile phone then on my screen at work because I can lie down for example.

Good luck!

PS: have had problems with my back since 12 years old (grown too fast)

memsom wrote on March 25th, 2008 at 6:49 PM PST:

Speaking as someone who has had this issue since they were 10 or so, it’s not blood, it’s spinal fluid.

Ivan wrote on March 26th, 2008 at 1:03 AM PST:

I have suffered backpain (and headaches) for ten years. After trying all kinds of tricks (special keyboard, new mattras etc), I had a full examiniation (bone scan, mri, x-ray, blood test etc). Nothing turned up, so I was diagnosed with ‘fibromyalgia’ by a rheumatologist. That was very scary, and I lived like that, in pain, for another two years. Then I was saved by some 5 bucks dvd. On it were stretch exercises. I had positive results after just a couple of days. Now, my quality of life has gone from 2/10 to 8/10, which is very spectacular. (On that subjective scale, 0 equals suicide and 10 equals completely pain free).
This stretch is particularly helpful to me:

1) Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor

2) Keeping your back flat on the floor, put your left hand on your stomach, and your right hand under your neck.

3) Using your back and abdomen muscles, raise your head and do a ‘curl’. Focus on your vertebra, and try to lift them one by on from the ground. Do this very slowly.

4) Hold for 10 seconds.

5) Go down again, and again focus on your spine, trying to put them down again one by one.

6) Repeat 10 more times

Do this a couple of times a day, prefarably after a long computer session.
If you don’t do anything, after a while, the pain will spread to your arms, rib cage etc, because everything is connected, you know. Don’t by (expensive) exercise tools, or even worse, medication. Fight the root cause by stretching. It’s the only true cure and it is 100 percent free. Remember, I’ve been there, and done that!

Justin wrote on March 26th, 2008 at 7:56 AM PST:

I feel your pain … really. As I type this I have to carefully position my neck in my $700 ergonomic office chair, while at the same time being sure not to lean left or right because of my lower back pain.

I would be in much better shape though if I can stick to a regular yoga plan. Speaking from experience in the past, I strongly recommend you try yoga, specifically forward/back bend movements, and twists.

Make sure it’s traditional yoga though, and not some western hybrid like Power yoga or the like. Trust me, you’ll get real results from this! I just have to learn to be consistent and not so damned lazy all the time.

(Check out Rodney Yee’s DVDs, but starting out you should go to a class)