Pan’s Labyrinth

I have trouble watching non-English speaking movies. I can barely stand Greek in movies (even when I used to live in Greece). And yet, “Pan’s Labyrinth“, entirely in Spanish, came out so natural for me. The movie was so captivating that even if it was shot in Klingonese it would be enjoyable. One of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time. A fairy tale definitely NOT for kids. Watched it last night via Netflix’s online player.

Dave Rosky wrote on February 28th, 2008 at 2:23 PM PST:

We saw this in the theater when it came out and enjoyed it very much. Very well done how the story of the cruelty of war was weaved together with the fairy tail. One of my favorites of last year.

The spanish language was frustrating, though. I remember just enough spanish that my eyes would sometimes wander away from the subtitiles, but then there would be a lot more dialog that I didn’t understand and I would have to look back. I have the same problem with Chinese (Mandarin) movies. It sucks to only partly know a language.

Eugenia wrote on February 28th, 2008 at 2:28 PM PST:

I don’t speak Spanish at all, so I always had to read the subtitles. It really didn’t bother me… at least not for this movie. For other movies and shows it does when the language is not English.

Luis wrote on February 28th, 2008 at 3:35 PM PST:

Yes, lovely movie indeed. Good to hear you liked it 🙂

I’ve never had trouble with watching movies with subtitles. You hardly notice it once you’re inside the movie. And since I really don’t like dubbed movies and obviously don’t understand the majority of languages out there, it’s the best option to be able to watch those movies.

Strange that being married to a Frenchman you don’t watch at least many French movies. They have lots of wonderful ones!

Eugenia wrote on February 28th, 2008 at 3:46 PM PST:

I am very difficult with non-english movies/shows. I don’t like most French movies, and I don’t like their music either. I like their traditional music, but most of their modern one rubs me bad. Of course, my record is even worse with other countries, so you could even say that French is my No2 favorite media language after all the English-speaking ones. But a very far second.

Dave Rosky wrote on February 28th, 2008 at 3:59 PM PST:

“For other movies and shows it does when the language is not English.”

Yeah, I suppose if you like the movie a lot, you can still enjoy it, like in this case. I actually don’t mind subtitles that much in languages that I don’t know at all.

Jim wrote on February 28th, 2008 at 7:09 PM PST:

French movies, the french sex comedies bore me, but I love the dual movies Jean de la Forette and Manon of the Spring.
Manon is one of my favorites and Manon is the sequal to the first one, but they play like one long movie and I paid money for both of them.
French Kiss is an english movie, but wonderful, of course The hit man I think is the name and the one about the girl trained to be a killer with the famous kitchen scene, I am having a brain fart for movie titles now, but there are a couple of outstanding male actors that I always get their movies.

Ricardo Ramalho wrote on February 29th, 2008 at 4:04 AM PST:

I saw it when it first appeared, and it’s amazing.

Loved it. =)

The language issue didn’t bore me at all. I’m Portuguese, and Castellano is similar. =)

mikesum32 wrote on March 1st, 2008 at 8:23 PM PST:

I also enjoyed Pan’s Labyrinth. I watched it at home. I had the chance to see The Orphanage, also in Spanish, at the local theater. Metaphocially it was very similar, that is, set in two worlds.

I want to see the French movie Amélie next. The City of Lost Children looks good too. Well, if looking like a steampunk borg is anything to go by.