Lost’s writers spank Heroes writers’ asses

Carlton Cuse says: We want people to believe in the stakes of the show. The problem with alternative realities is that you never know when the rug is going to be pulled out from under you. We want the audience to believe that the jeopardy is real. Postulating alternative realities would be an escape valve that would be damaging that as a narrative value.

Damon Lindelof says: We’re not going to tell you that we’re against bending the time/space continuum. We are very for it. Carlton and I are PRO time-space continuum bending! But we’re ANTI-paradox. Paradox creates issues. In Heroes, Masi Oka’s character travels back from the future to say, ”You must prevent New York from being destroyed.” But if they prevent New York from being destroyed, Masi Oka can never travel back from the future to warn you, because Future Hiro no longer exists. Right? So when we start having those conversations at Lost, we go, ”This show is already confusing enough as it is.” To actually have characters traveling through time has to be handled very deftly.

Take that “Heroes” writers and your stupid plotlines! This is why I love “Lost”. Within all its impossible sci-fi plot, it feels real, it feels factual. I am THERE, each time I watch it.

Paul wrote on February 21st, 2008 at 7:28 AM PST:

Horses for courses…as they say…The whole “time” issue will be never be dealt with properly has no-one has ever actually done it !! When they do, we’ll know 🙂 until then we can just imagine…

Adam S wrote on February 21st, 2008 at 7:30 AM PST:

Between this and the other entry you wrote about the time it takes to travel across the island, I respond the same way: it’s called poetic license. They are trying to entertain you, and like most entertainment, it requires just a little suspension of disbelief.

Neither one bothered me then, neither one bothers me now, although it’s good to know that Lost will not have a convenient side-step reveal in the end.

Thom Holwerda wrote on February 21st, 2008 at 7:41 AM PST:

I agree with Adam. Complaining about these issues always reminds me of the story of a few guys leaving the cinema after watching a Star Wars/Trek film, saying: “Dude, you totally can NOT hear sounds in space. SO unbelievable!”

Dude, you’re watching a movie about a bunch of weirdos in tights shooting lights at each other in spaceships that could never even physically be real. Get over it.

l3v1 wrote on February 21st, 2008 at 1:11 PM PST:

“Take that “Heroes” writers and your stupid plotlines!”

I have to say, this whole issue just becomes more and more ridiculous. One sci-fi show making fun of another based on a their view of time travel paradoxes being handled(*). Rright. And forgive my ignorance, but your reaction line sounds even more ridiculous.

Adam: “that Lost will not have a convenient side-step reveal in the end” Sometimes I feel it won’t have an inconvenient one either 🙂

(*) Besides the whole “can never travel back from the future to warn you, because Future Hiro no longer exists” issue can be swept aside with another sci-fi solution, namely alternate timelines [as so many others have done], go figure.

Eugenia wrote on February 21st, 2008 at 1:21 PM PST:

Regardless, Heroes looks more stupid, rushed, boring, incomprehensable to me than the two.

Jim wrote on February 21st, 2008 at 3:28 PM PST:

Which episode of lost has the spanking?

Villain wrote on February 22nd, 2008 at 3:58 AM PST:

Atleast Heroes doesn’t have more flashbacks than story.

Slight wrote on February 22nd, 2008 at 7:09 AM PST:

Lost is an incoherent mess that they’re clearly making up as they go along. Heroes isn’t perfect but in terms of unbelievable it has Lost owned in my opinion.

Also the paradox that they describe isn’t a paradox if you’re basing your time travel on a many universes view of the world. Also I heard of any convincing descriptions of how time travel could work without paradoxes without having a many universes model of erm… stuff!

I’m also really not sure how you can say heroes is more incomprehensible than Heroes. 🙂

Eugenia wrote on February 22nd, 2008 at 7:32 PM PST:

> Lost is an incoherent mess that they’re clearly making up as they go along.

This is absolutely 100% wrong.

James wrote on February 24th, 2008 at 8:08 AM PST:

To each his/her own, I guess. I watch both and grew up collecting comics so the Heroes story line attracts me more than Lost. Even though I still watch it, the Lost story line is all over the place with episodes containing flash backs, flash forwards and flash sideways. It seems to me like the whole story line can be summed up in a 60 minute show once all is said and done. There are too many pieces of the story that come up and are dropped forever to not be made up as they go. Polar bears?

Thanks for running this blog. The video info is wonderful!

Dragossh wrote on February 25th, 2008 at 10:43 AM PST:

Polar bears? Yeah, they’ve explained their existence on the island in season 3 🙂

I am sure that after LOST ends, almost all those things they have “forgotten” will be answered.

IMHO, LOST = questions :P, and that’s why I love it.