YouTube censoring anti-Scientology clips?

A guy claims that youtube’s Anonymous Anonymous videos are all censored. I don’t know if this is true or false, but I know that even on Digg now their posts are “buried” and never see the light of the front page anymore. I don’t know if this is just coincidental, or people had enough of the Anonymous Anonymous group, or if organized Scientologists fight back the same way as the group does. Hopefully Youtube clears up the situation.

Regarding Anonymous Anonymous’ actions, while I fully support their opinions about Scientology, I don’t think they go the right way about it. If they want some action against this for-profit “religion” (for the record: I personally don’t consider it a religion), they should write to their congressman, raise money to post ads, and educate people to not join the cult. Picketing outside the Scientology offices proves and brings nothing at the end. Scientology is what it is, and it’s not going to change, so picketing outside their offices is a waste of time.

Hartfield Lulzworth wrote on February 13th, 2008 at 7:53 PM PST:

I an anonymous. Thank you for writing about Project Chanology. To clear something up: we’re doing all of those things too. For instance, today one of us had a meeting with a congressional aid, and our letter writing is beginning in earnest. We are also exploring legal means to remove the Church of Scientology’s charitable status in countries where it has it. Feel free to check out our forums and more here.

You can see what we are doing there. We are 100% comitted to legal and peaceful protest.

We had lots of protests around the world and they were all peaceful. A nice compilation of pictures from them is here.

Jim wrote on February 13th, 2008 at 10:17 PM PST:

I still think scientologists should see a shrink and get their heads examined

Thom Holwerda wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 12:24 AM PST:

You know my position on scientology (no capital s!). It must be eradicated from the face of the earth, and we must dance on the rubble it leaves behind. It is an evil and dangerous cult.

Brendan wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 1:10 AM PST:

I don’t see why scientology is anymore far fetched than any other religion.

The core ideas of most religions are a god, heaven and hell. If you look at it rationally it is completely bizarre. There is not a shred of evidence to back any of it up.

That said Jesus, real or not, seems like a great person and I would be happy if everyone followed his lead.

Eugenia wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 1:36 AM PST:

The difference is not in the beliefs (although Scientology’s are wackier), but on the fact that Scientology is a for-profit scam. There is nothing bad with it as all organized religions do that, but Scientology does it a bit TOO much.

Brendan wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 2:57 AM PST:

The Vatigan and it’s cronies are pretty rich. Seems to me that churches always have cash. The biggest, grandest buildings in most areas throughout history have always been churches. Communities would starve and die but there would alway be a fancy church as apparently this pleases god.

I know I should study something before commenting on it but I don’t want to pollute my mind with learning what scientology means but doesn’t it involve aliens? To me there is more chance in science of aliens than there is of god.

So really I don’t see the difference between scientologists and the rest. Still I wouldn’t waste my time picketing against them – I’d rather watch the Terminator series 😉

Thom Holwerda wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 4:16 AM PST:

The difference is clear.

Walk into a church, mosque, or synagogue, and the priest/imam/rabbi will happily talk about his faith, explain what their religion entails, why you should join, etc. You are free to walk into any of those buildings, join the mass, no problem. You don’t have to pay a dime to be part of it, nor do you even HAVE to go to the church/mosque/synagogue to be affiliated with those faiths.

Compare this to the money scam that is scientology. You cannot freely join them, and when you ask them what their “religion” entails, they will say it are tools to help your life, but that you will have to PAY in order to get those tools. You’ll have to pay and pay and pay the more you get into the dangerous cult, you will be told not to tell anyone about what goes on ‘within’ scientology, since that would hurt their revenue stream.

THAT is why scientology is a dangerous, family and life destroying money scam, that must be eradicated from the face of the earth, just like any other money scam. We charge nigerian scammers with fraud, and so should we scientologists.

Hartfield Lulzworth wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 4:42 AM PST:

Brendan, the specific difference in this case is the attitude of Scientology towards critics on the internet, its persecution of critics in real life, and the money it charges its adherents. A PhD in theology for any major religion is around $25,000. To attain full spiritual advancement in the Church of Scientology it would cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars. Spiritual advancement should not only be for the rich and the able. Charging for spiritual attainment is just plain wrong.

Scientology attacks free speech on the Internet. When Scientology started messing with the Internet that’s when they annoyed anonymous. The internet is a last bastion of free speech and removing a newsworthy, and funny, clip of Tom Cruise was indicative of their policy.

For the background to this check out this:

A sociological study of anonymous and the internets.

Jim wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 9:23 AM PST:

The link for a socialogical study is a music video
Very good comments about religion in general and the distinction of Scientology, Another group that involves aliens, spending money to advance in the faith and “secrets” is the Mormon Church. I am an ex Mormon and they say I am going to hell because I know “the truth” and rejected it, but other leaving that cult was relitively painless.
I think it was Ben Franklin who said a fool and his money is soon parted

Brendan wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 9:49 AM PST:

I agree that any form of censorship and having to pay to access to faith is wrong.
I still don’t really see a major difference between the scientologists and other religions. I read that the Vatican sponsored missionaries to travel around Africa saying that condoms had holes in them and didn’t stop aids. Also many religions have access problems – baptism, confirmation, and i think have Jewish is a ‘good’ thing in the Jewish faith. Whilst these maybe ‘free’ I still think alot of people end up parting with cash for the privilege of faith. I have seen the many ‘Christian’ channels on satellite TV that run 24/7 asking for cash (and doing very well from it).
Basically my point is if you believe scientology is bad then why aren’t the rest. Let’s face facts here how many wars have the scientologists started? How many other religions haven’t started wars? War is worse than money grabbing.
My country’s PM recently stepped down and then became a Catholic with all that entails – no abortion rights and hell for the non believers. I was pretty annoyed by his ‘conversion’ (brainwashing if you ask me) as he obviously had these ideas when he was in power and he knew that would give him election woes so he choose to ‘convert’ after he stepped down.

Most relegion is really dangerous.

Jay wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 9:53 AM PST:

Anonymous is responsible for a huge spike in the number of people walkng into Scientology churches to check it out for themselves, based on all the attention that has been given in the media to Scientology because of their ineffectual cyber-terrorism campaign. The protests last weekend were laughable. Check out the Alexa stats for http://www.scientology.org last week when this peaked — they got about 10 times the number of visitors to their site than they normally get. The old PR maxim is “There’s no such thing as bad press.” To paraphrase Oscar Wilde:”The only thing worse than people talking about you is people not talking about you.”

Here’s more info on the roots of Anonymous, from a Fox news piece a year ago (before Anonymous decided they didn’t care about religious freedom)

It’s interesting that one of their members was arrested for promoting blowing up stadiums.

Eugenia wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 1:19 PM PST:

Jay, the spikes might have been visitors, but might have been dummy hits as Anonymous was DoS’ing their sites.

Dimitar Uzunov wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 1:25 PM PST:

Yep, I think the US and some other countries should modify their laws about religion – this is obviously an abuse of the parts of the US constitution that ensures religious freedom.

Anonymous wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 1:41 PM PST:

So you think protest outside the white house is a waste of time? Outside anything is a waste of time? Protests are waste of time?

Eugenia wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 2:03 PM PST:

No, I don’t think that all protests are a waste of time, although time and again we see that these protesters ARE ignored. Many people protested the war at Iraq, but the war happened. Having said that, protesting outside of politician’s offices you might get a point across one way or another, but protesting outside of Scientology is a waste of time, because they are brainwashed fanatics and they won’t listen no matter what you do. It’s how it is. At least politicians can listen — for the right amount of money. 😉

As for DoS’ing the Scientology sites, I don’t agree with it. DoS is a form of terrorism, and I can’t condone that. Efforts to stop Scientologists should be made to simply eradicate them over the years by convincing normal people and senators and judges that are fraunts, not by bringing down what they have a right to have according to free speech (e.g. books and web sites). I know it’s easier to simply try to deface them, but it’s not the right strategy in the long run, because it can hit the Anonymous back.

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad wrote on February 14th, 2008 at 5:54 PM PST:

I think the underlying issue is simply this; with any other religion you can purchase their holy book (and sometimes you can get it for free), you can get in-depth comprehensive information on the religion and every facet of their belief system.

In reply to Brendan, please, people can find everything they want about the Catholic church and their positions on EVERY social issue under the sun. Unlike ccientology, they make NO secret about their reasons for their positions. Scientology suppress and sue anyone who dares expose what scientology is truly about.

For those channels asking for donations – you aren’t being forced to; you aren’t being told “YOU MUST DONATE MONEY!” – agin, there is a difference; scientology charges you money to get information revealed to you, then threatens you if you disclose it to someone else. All these evangelists are doing is asking for donations, thats no different to my local community channel.

Oh, and regarding your Prime Minister, I can point to at least 1/2 dozen MPs in the parliament that support same sex civil unions and abortion, and are Catholic.

Brendan wrote on February 15th, 2008 at 6:55 AM PST:

Thanks,

So scientologists are truely dangerous! It would appear that they are hiding behind the title of a religion…

Maybe Mr Blair, that’s who I was talking about, agrees with abortion but he is publicly endorsing a religion that doesn’t. Also it seems a bit strange choosing a religion and then choosing the bits you like or don’t like… There alot of laws that I don’t agree with but I still have to obey them. Still it would be totally in character for Mr Blair to be a hypocrite.

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad wrote on February 16th, 2008 at 5:27 PM PST:

RE: Brendan

Believe me, there are alot of Catholics who don’t believe what the Pope wants them to believe. The infallibility of the pope? not a single person believes that lie, not even the pope himself. Sure, its on the books, but most people ignore it – just like smoking weed, its illegal but people ignore the law (and so do many of the cops).