Bloodied 70-year-old woman cuffed for having a brown lawn

“Betty Perry is charged with resisting arrest and failing to maintain her landscaping, both misdemeanors” writes CNN.

Wait a second. Why the hell is it a misdemeanor to not water your lawn? If it’s YOUR lawn, why the hell the city council cares about it? What kind of a law this is? That’s the kind of law that it would never fly (or get voted in the first place) in Greece.

And then, an American told me once that ancient Spartans were “barbaric” for imposing a maximum beard size to men.

Nice comments on Digg about it:

It’s bad enough people have to pay taxes to keep their homes, but mow the lawn. This is fucking police state. They should make it official and just declare marshal law.”

Justin wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 3:31 AM PST:

At the risk of sounding like an ass, I can see how this could happen.

I’ve seen places that are part of estates which, when you sign up for the place, has strict rules and regulations about how the “Community” is supposed to look.

Some area’s won’t allow front lawn fences, some require flower beds, and obviously this requires a green lawn.

Could you argue that someone that piles up rubbish in their front yard is okay because it is their front lawn? This simply messes up the look of the neighborhood and drives down the house prices of surrounding properties

I think cuffing an elderly woman is taking it a little far though.

Thom Holwerda wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 7:18 AM PST:

Cuffing the women is of course way overdone.

But the law itself – no problems at all. You have to properly maintain your lawn and house because other people have to look at it too. As Justin above already said, the quality of a neighbourhood as well as its appeal is the sum of all the individuals that live there, including the state of their homes and lawns.

It is only common sense.

William Eggington wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 8:44 AM PST:

I live in that town. No way is it a “Police State”. This is just a freak event between two humans that rubbed each other the wrong way. Hell. . . I WISH they’d enforce some kind of rule on lawns. Some of my neighbors “lawns” are just waist high weeds. Makes our neighborhood look crappy when it really is quite nice. :-/ I think lawns are stupid in a place that is constantly talking about drought.

mikesum32 wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 10:38 AM PST:

She should have to do anything with her property. I’m think9ing she signed one of those home owner association pacts.

The reason she got arrested was that she refused to giver her name to the police. I would’ve refused too if they were there about my lawn.

Eugenia wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 12:35 PM PST:

> You have to properly maintain your lawn and house because other people have to look at it too.

Give me a break. This is YOUR property. If people don’t like it, screw them.

Having to “maintain” something you own just because someone says so, that’s fucking communist Russia man, not America.

Thom Holwerda wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 12:50 PM PST:

Give me a break. This is YOUR property. If people don’t like it, screw them.

Well, welcome to society, Eugenia. My house is indeed my property, but does that mean I can do whatever I want there? Of course not. Laws still apply. My municipality’s laws probably dictate I take proper care of my house and lawn, but in addition to that, the housing corporation I rent my house from even states it explicitly in their rules. I must take proper care of my lawn and home.

Then I live in communist Russia. And I’m happy for it. I live in a rich country, and I expect my neighbours to uphold that. I do not want my neighbours to live like fcuking third world country poor people.

If I want to see poor people, I’d move to a third world country. Like the US, for instance.

Eugenia wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 1:03 PM PST:

>housing corporation I rent my house

This is different. When you rent a house, these rules DO apply. But when you OWN the house, and especially when you have no mortgage on it anymore, you should be FREE to do whatever the hell with it.

Emphasis on “FREE”.

>I do not want my neighbours to live like fcuking third world country poor people.

Snob.

Thom Holwerda wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 1:10 PM PST:

It doesn’t work that way, luckily, here. Everybody in a community is responsible for the functioning and the image of the community as a whole. Everybody has to chip in in order for a community, and all communities together as a society, to work well.

Properly maintaining your property, either by rent or by ownership (like my parents’ house) is part of that.

Snob

Took you that long to find that out about me? 😀

mikesum32 wrote on September 20th, 2007 at 2:27 PM PST:

She shouldn’t have to do anything with her property. Screw your property values !

l3v1 wrote on September 21st, 2007 at 12:19 AM PST:

Well, well. Different story: my aunt&uncle’s house’s fence (yes, in the US) needed painting. They painted it. Neighbor comes, saying he doesn’t like the color and saying it doesn’t fit anyways. My aunt getting angry, then calming, then going to the neighbor with a whole color sample leaflet to be so kind and pick a color for the damn fence. Neighbor shutting up, fence color staying.

I’d say, people should mind their own businness until the neighbor keeps a reasonable level of tidyness. But these days people just think everything is their businness.

Another story: dog barking from time to time, neighbor coming demanding it being shut up one way or the other. They buy that silencer thingy collar that hurts the poor dog when barking. So, poor dog doesn’t bark. Another neighbor coming demaning they don’t hurt the dog. Go figure.

memsom wrote on September 21st, 2007 at 1:16 PM PST:

In the UK the exact reverse may have happened. If she had watered her lawn she might have been arrested for wasting water. We have things called “hose pipe bans” in areas with poor rain fall (yeah, ironic, UK, hahhaha..) because certain Water companies seem unable to produce enough water (allegedly.)