Best. Movies. Ever.

Stormrider blogged about his favorite movies, and so here is my list too:

– Star Wars: A New Hope
– The Matrix
– The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
– Equilibrium
– Donnie Darko

For other, less known movies, but equal gems I have blogged about here.

I must note here that Stormirder’s post was mostly about movies that have played a big role in shaping his personality while growing up. I can claim the same thing about art work, but in my case it’s ‘Star Trek: TOS’ and ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ that has.

BTW, don’t you think that L.A. Confidential is the most overrated movie ever? It is on the top250 of IMDb and I don’t understand why. It is just a normal movie, not bad, and not great either. I don’t get any ‘greatness’ about this movie.

Phil wrote on March 19th, 2007 at 8:31 AM PST:

I don’t really have a ranked list of favourites, but from the sci-fi genre I would say Forbidden Planet(1956) is a very good film. :)

mikesum32 wrote on March 19th, 2007 at 9:15 AM PST:

Whoa, deja-vu
Ever see Harold and Maude ? It’s a great dark comedy.

Lately, I watched Misery after taking a look at Bravo’s top 100 horror movies. It’s based on the Stephen King book of the same name. It’s about a writer who crashes and is rescued by his biggest fan. I had to make an animated gif of the most famous scene. I’ve in the book she uses an ax. I recently bought a copy of The Tommyknockers at Goodwill for 50 cents. I’m still reading it. I don’t think I’ve ever read any one story that’s so long. I usually prefer short stories, but a Stephen King book for 50 cents is a deal too good to pass up. I saw the movie on sci-fi a long time ago.

mikesum32 wrote on March 19th, 2007 at 9:19 AM PST:

Well I should have really double check ed my post. Oh well.

Forbidden Planet was a great movie, and it’s hard to believe Leslie Nielsen is the same person that would later star in Airplane and The Naked Gun movies.

Tom Dison wrote on March 19th, 2007 at 10:18 AM PST:

I join with you on your top three.

After that, here are some of my favorites:

Stand and Deliver
Hoosiers (I know everyone else hated it)
The Natural
Ground Hogs day

Even though Ground Hogs Day is a comedy, I thought its infinitely repeated day brought up some interesting philosophical speculations. And I thought it was funny!

Oliver Herold wrote on March 19th, 2007 at 10:29 AM PST:

– Star Wars: A New Hope
– The Matrix
– Forbidden Planet (with a not so merry Leslie Nielsen ;) )
– The Thing (the old one)
– This Island Earth

It’s hard I could add some more movies ;)

stormrider wrote on March 19th, 2007 at 8:15 AM PST:

everything that has a “film noir” atmosphere is loved by the critics. EVERYTHING. those guys are stuck at the movie stone-age.

Edwin wrote on March 20th, 2007 at 7:56 AM PST:

Best movies overall:
Bladerunner
Memento
Russian Ark

Movies that left a major impression on me as a kid:
E.T.
The Goonies
The Thing (the original, I was way too young to watch and had trouble falling asleep for a long time)

Ronald wrote on March 20th, 2007 at 9:26 AM PST:

Braveheart;
Gladiator.

🙂

Hugo wrote on March 23rd, 2007 at 11:53 AM PST:

The most overrated movie ever is “The English patient”, i would gladly kill myself to avoid watching it again.