Clafoutis

My JBQ loves this (traditionally French) fruit pie. You can use either fresh cherries or pears, or a bit of frozen mango. Don’t use frozen or dried pear or cherries though.

Ingredients (for 5-6)
* 400 gr fresh cherries or pears
* 4 eggs
* 50 gr butter
* 250 ml milk
* 125 gr sugar (use honey for Paleo version)
* 60 gr flour (use coconut flour for Paleo version)

Execution
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan in very low heat. Preheat oven at 200 C (355 F).
2. Beat the eggs and sugar in a big bowl using a mixer.
3. Add the flour slowly and continue to beat the mixture.
4. Add the butter in the mixture and continue to beat.
5. Add the milk slowly and continue to beat the mixture for a few more seconds.
6. Using your (clean) finger get the butter that’s left in the saucepan and spread it in your oven dish.
7. Wash the cherries under cold water, remove their sticks. You can remove the pits if you want to, but the original recipe calls for whole cherries.
8. Spread the cherries in the oven dish, beat the mixture for 5 more seconds, and then spread that mixture atop the cherries.
9. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until golden (not as much as in my picture though, I was on the phone and I overcooked it a tiny bit).
10. Eat it warm (not hot and not too cold either).

Ralf wrote on January 20th, 2007 at 11:14 AM PST:

Ohh shit – this looks delicious!

The sad thing is: It’s about 0:11 AM here in europe and I have no cherries around :-/

Cheers ;-)
Ralf.

Oliver Herold wrote on January 21st, 2007 at 1:10 AM PST:

Looks very nice, I would eat it at once – something to do for my wife *g*

moleskine wrote on January 21st, 2007 at 1:31 AM PST:

Hmmn, very hard to resist from the sound and look of it. Your bread recipe went down a storm so I’ve copied this one over too. A look around suggests that clafoutis is also good when made with apricots or raspberries and when a little vanilla flavouring is added. I wonder what it might be like with some chocolate or cinnamon sprinkled on top? Might try some soon.

Andrew wrote on January 21st, 2007 at 3:59 AM PST:

Grandmother used to make this, always refused to remove the pits for some reason.

Eugenia wrote on January 21st, 2007 at 8:15 AM PST:

There is a good practical reason why in the cherry-based recipe the pits must stay in. When I tried with the frozen cherries — which generate a lot of extra juice when they thaw– the pie did not hold together. When you take the pits out, a lot of that juice gets freed too, even if fresh cherries are less watery than frozen cherries (I tried with the pits out too). Therefore, while there is some incovenience for the person who eats this pie because of the pits that are in (another inconvenience is also the cherries stay hot when the pits are in, even if the rest of the pie has reduced to just being “warm”), overall the pie feels and tastes better.

Lockie wrote on January 23rd, 2007 at 5:10 AM PST:

Cherries, in New Zealand a summer fruit are amongst my favorite. Your recipe has set me salivating, thanks.