VLC rant

Most people love VLC because it supports a lot of media formats. Indeed, it has saved me from frustration a few times too, being able to playback videos that no other app could.

But VLC has major problems in every other aspect. I mean, its Win/Lin preference window is one big mess. The rest of the interface is not great either. But what REALLY bothers me is its streaming ability (doesn’t really work most of the time) and its stream-rip & transcoding ability (it NEVER works).

Remember the guy I sold the LG Chocolate to a few days ago? He emailed me this morning asking me “how did you put these ipod ads videos in the phone? I would like to put some anime fan videos too, but they don’t work“. Apparently, the videos he was trying to upload to the phone were too high resolution for the phone to handle, but most importantly, they were encoded in the uncommon AVC1 MP4 format that QuickTime or even the 3GP-Encoder utility would not recognize. VLC was the only app that recognized and played back the sample file! Trying to use VLC to transcode the video to ANY other format though, it would result in either scrambled video or no video but just audio (I tried at least 5 video format/encapsulation options). Absolutely nothing worked.

I wonder, do these guys actually TEST their bloody apps before they offer them for public consumption? I don’t think so! Or, they simply “user-tested-it” instead of having a real PROCESS to QA their code. You see, if you just “user test” an app, only the most obvious bugs will be found, because users only tend to test their most required feature, in this case “playback”. But just about anything else, goes to hell. This kind of non-QA testing is common in the open source world, which is why after you actually try to seriously use most apps found on distros (or on gnomefiles.org), you will stumble from one bug to another, and from one crash to another.

Anyways, at the end, the SUPER application managed the transcoding to MPEG4-BASIC just fine. And then, I had to use Quicktime PRO in order to re-transcode it to the 176×144 resolution that the phone requires (SUPER would not go below 320×240 in their MP4 option).

mikesum32 wrote on January 16th, 2007 at 2:23 AM PST:

“A GUI to ffmpeg, MEncoder, mplayer, x264, mppenc, ffmpeg2theora & the theora/vorbis RealProducer plugIn”

Looks like you could do it, if you had enough patience.

Moulinneuf wrote on January 16th, 2007 at 3:42 AM PST:

Tried this : Mediacoder

Oliver Herold wrote on January 16th, 2007 at 5:57 AM PST:

It’s a similar problem with Mplayer – it’s a great player but the interface is crap. I’m using it in the shell, so it doesn’t bother may. But you are right with this article.

ksmc wrote on January 16th, 2007 at 12:56 PM PST:

wow. super sounds great. wish there was a mac version.

madhatter wrote on January 17th, 2007 at 2:34 AM PST:

mplayer is great though not everyone likes it’s standard interface, but there are lot of nice GUIs out there (at least for windows)

Eugenia wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 1:07 AM PST:

>i dont think it has any flaws that warrant an attack

Get real. VLC’s export facilities do NOT work. And when I say they don’t work, I mean they don’t work at all. So, how is that does not “warrant an attack”? What exactly would warrant an attack then? If VLC was exploding my PC?

>a gentler more constructive approach

I am done with those. The VLC guys had 5 years to fix their major bugs.

>women and technology shouldnt mix

Haha! I obviously have more knowledge on the matter than you do. I guess that makes me a man with 3 testicles.

>long live QT – ROT IN PIECES GTK

Grow up. How old are you? 11?

Jango wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 1:59 AM PST:

YES 11 how did you know

i read somewhere that women can read minds from a distance and they ensnare your wit if they kiss you.

i wouldn’t know i spend all my time in front of an LCD monitor-
one day i hope though i can meet a gentle girl to settle with, and then i can finally leave all this PC business behind

I can’t recall ever starting a Gnome session on purpose
food for thought-has anyone ever bothered to write a virus for windoze under the GPL- that would really get people talking – gpl’s virality haha

I LOVE GPL

i hate GTK because its not GPL

Eugenia wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 2:01 AM PST:

I am sorry for your retarded state. I really am.

Jango wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 2:35 AM PST:

why do women keep saying that to me?

if you smelt my cologne youd think otherwise

sex-panther by odeon- its illegal in 9 countries so you know its good

they done studeis you know- 60% of the time it works every time

Eugenia wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 8:22 AM PST:

The truth hurts huh? Obviously.

Jango wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 8:24 AM PST:

man that was a good comeback- ohh sizzle i got burned

burned almost as bad as the gtk hackers

yobiatch wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 8:47 AM PST:

Shutup bitch! knowone wants to here what you want to say go dig a hole and bury yourself

Jango wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 12:54 PM PST:

VLC is the best i dont think it has any flaws that warrant an attack on the developer- perhaps a gentler more constructive approach would have been preferable- every word you say just reinforces my view that women and technology shouldnt mix

long live QT
ROT IN PIECES GTK

yobiatch wrote on January 18th, 2007 at 8:48 AM PST:

im refering to eugenia btw