Spoiled

When my father or mother would come back from work when I was a kid, seldomly I expected them to bring me either a chocolate, or a pita-gyros. I want to… exploit this with my JBQ too, but here’s the kicker: the US market has nothing I want. I can’t find a chocolate that I really like here in USA (e.g. Lacta or Kinder) and I can’t find real Greek pita-gyros either (not in the Bay Area at least). Pisses me off. I can’t be the spoiled kid that I want to be. I have to settle for Safeway donuts instead.

Post a comment »

Stefan wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 1:06 AM PST:

Cannot agree more..
There are a lot of good things we’re missing here in the “land of plenty”.

Tom wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 2:54 AM PST:

Hold on! You can’t find anything between your favorite chocolate and Safeway donuts?? It seems to me that, here in this great land of plenty, you should be able to find something you like more than Safeway donuts.

Eugenia wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 2:58 AM PST:

I can’t find a kind of chocolate that resembles Kinder in US, no.

And the pita gyros in the Bay Area are actually turkish ones with lamb and salad in them (the greek way is with pork and fries/tzatziki instead).

Luis wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 3:15 AM PST:

Yes, kinder chocolate is usually for “children”, since it has little cocoa and more milk, so it has a soft flavor (too sweet for my taste). I have a friend who likes this kind of chocolate because he doesn’t like chocolate (i.e, he doesn’t like the taste of cocoa).

Anyway, why not buy it online?

mikesum32 wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 3:40 AM PST:

Lindt & Sprüngli are good, as is Ghirardelli.

I don’t know about Kinder chocolate

BTW, doesn’t Kinder mean “children”?

vince wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 5:16 AM PST:

Ralf wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 7:31 AM PST:

Be glad that no such things exist in your region – thats better for your slim line! ;-)
When I went shopping I allways try to ignore the shelfs that carry the chocolate stuff – but too often I am to weak to resist! :-/
As a result I have to work out in the spring time to get rid of the “chocolate-kilos”.
Therefore I enjoyed your diet recipies on your blog in last months.

Cheers,
Ralf.

Eugenia wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 8:03 AM PST:

>infrequently

Yes, this is what I mean. About 1-2 times a month.

ljun wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 8:50 AM PST:

Completely agree with you Eugenia. Chocolate in America for the most part SUCKS! Chocolate in Belgium/Germany/Japan is where “heaven” really is! :)

Eugenia wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 10:14 AM PST:

Thanks for the link Vince, but I don’t like dark chocolate. I like milk chocolate. ;)

memson wrote on November 14th, 2006 at 11:05 AM PST:

Seldomly means “infrequently” (in the sense “almost never”) or “hardly ever”… did you mean that? It sounded more like you meant “frequently” or “sometimes”. Otherwise the text is odd. It sounds wrong; like you meant that they did bring you things, but almost never.

vince wrote on November 15th, 2006 at 5:39 AM PST:

They actually have 7 varieties of milk chocolate.. you just have to scroll through to page 2 & 3 of their 3oz bar pages.

(They have a terrible online store…)

Thom Holwerda wrote on November 15th, 2006 at 9:10 AM PST:

I like my chocolate ‘extra pure’ as we Dutch call it (that would be ‘extra dark’ in English). However, after the Great Toblerone Addiction of a few years ago, I don’t like chocolate all that much anymore.