Sony Vegas Pro 12

Sony’s Vegas Pro 12 was released a few weeks ago, and in my opinion, this is the most substantial update the application has seen between major releases in the last few years.

I’ve been using the application for a few weeks now, and aside from a few bumps that I expect to be ironed out in free updates, it delivered the goods as expected.

Here is a sum of the new features:
– The explorer view now supports back and froward and smart tags. Very handy for those who like to be tidy.
– Now you can change the properties of multiple files at once! That’s one of the things that was very painful for me back when I used to use Cineform AVIs, and Vegas used to get wrong their field order.
– Smart proxies. If you don’t own a fast CPU or an OpenCL graphics card, you can still edit fast using proxies. Vegas can automatically create them, you edit with them, and then it exports using the original, high quality version.
– Layer Dimensionality is a new plugin, similar to Photoshop’s Layer styles.
– There’s an A-B roll style editing now for those who need more precision over their frames, overlaps etc.
– New shortcuts to trim the beginning or the end of a clip in a single stroke (before, you had to press “S”, and then manually delete the event).
– A new plugin for color matching two different events/shots.
– LAB Adjust and L*a*b* Color Space Histogram, which works in conjunction to the Color matching plugin.
– Most of the audio plugins have now being ported to 64bit.
– You can send/receive project files from Avid, FCP7/X, DaVinci, Premiere and After Effects CS6. I tried this with Premiere, it worked wonderfully for simple projects.
– You can change the shape of a mask.

These are pretty much some of the features I always wanted from Vegas Pro, and there are here now. This is the most powerful release to date. The only three features missing for me are: a color plugin like the freeware (but buggy) AAV ColorLab, the ability to “re-light” a scene, and automatic tracking. Hopefully in Vegas Pro 13!

Finally, in addition to Vegas Pro 12, Sony release a package called “Visual Effects Suite 2″, which includes the very capable HitFilm 2.

Glenn wrote on November 27th, 2012 at 8:49 AM PST:

I’m a MAC person, but I;ve always wanted try Vegas because, from my understanding, it runs similar to old iMovie, with more bells and whistles. If I ever go back to PC, Vegas is definitely the way to go, after reading this post, it makes want to go buy a Vaio.

Ron Scott wrote on November 28th, 2012 at 1:56 PM PST:

I like that you can now apply effects directly with masks without having to create a separate track. This makes things like face blurs and selective color/exposure correction much easier and more intuitive. I upgraded from Movie Studio to Pro just to get this enhancement. FWIW, I have found that the NewBlueFX Titler Pro plug-in does not play to well with Pro 12. Several crashes seem to be related to using that plug-in, so much so that I have stopped using it for now. On several occasions just dropping the effect onto the timeline caused a crash. At other times doing an Undo caused a crash. Even projects that rendered fine with a NBFX applied crashed on exit from Pro 12 after render.

Michael C. wrote on November 28th, 2012 at 10:32 PM PST:

Can you specify deinterlacing options per track or clip, not per project?

Eugenia wrote on November 28th, 2012 at 11:15 PM PST:

If you mean blend/interpolate, no.

Michael C. wrote on November 29th, 2012 at 1:42 PM PST:

Bummer. No reason for me to upgrade then. What about putting a marker on an event itself, not on timeline?

Mark O. wrote on December 1st, 2012 at 2:07 PM PST:

I was a beta tester for Vegas 12. The first version was incredibly buggy. Newer features, fx crashed the program and there were some accessibility issues. But they really patched things together nicely and made a solid final product.

I enjoyed the process less than I anticipated, especially when learning, early on, that Sony wasn’t going to compensate us with a free update for doing the tedious testing. It put a damper on my motivation, also in that I was unable to use the program for actual projects.

I really don’t understand the consequence of a multi-billion dollar company providing free software updates to a small number of people, which would have no effect on their bottom line. I think providing the updates would also have improved the final product, equating to more profit in the long run.

Anyway, the update is on sale at Sony Creative until the end of December and I will be picking it up.

Lines, paragraphs break automatically. HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>