The Moon

The moon last night, captured by my husband’s telescope and my Canon SX200 IS digicam (shot handheld, through the eyepiece).

Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0/US.

Peter wrote on August 18th, 2011 at 8:26 AM PST:

How did you focus the image? I tried is once with the same camera but a very small telescope (actually a spotting scope) with not so accurate focussing. It was very difficult to get something that was not out of focus.

Eugenia wrote on August 18th, 2011 at 8:28 AM PST:

It worked ok for me in P mode. In Auto mode the moon would come out over-exposed, but in P mode it worked properly as long as the moon was somewhat in the middle of the frame. Focus was never the issue (I let the camera to autofocus). I had zoomed-in with the camera on the eyepiece about ~4x btw. Maybe the distance of the particular eyepiece and the lens was at the right combination.

VonRiesling wrote on August 18th, 2011 at 10:35 AM PST:

Killer shot!

Peter wrote on August 19th, 2011 at 7:03 AM PST:

thanks, I didn’t try in P mode yet. I also better switch to a decent telescope for such purpose. By the way, for holding the camera in front of the eyepiece, empty toilet paper rolls fit remarkably well on the sx200 lens so with some creativity you have a free camera support that just fits on the eyepiece. πŸ™‚

jeff wrote on August 20th, 2011 at 12:00 PM PST:

Wow, what kind of telescope is that? It sure ain’t a pair of 4x binoculars πŸ™‚

JBQ wrote on August 21st, 2011 at 6:03 AM PST:

The telescope is a 114mm/900mm spherical Newtonian (i.e. 4.5″ f/8). The eyepiece is a 25mm PlΓΆssl.

zima wrote on August 22nd, 2011 at 12:05 AM PST:

What has happened here during summer hiatus? Nice moon, previously a slightly chimeric(?) cat (one of the last things I expected to see here …though, as ClassAction almost points out, you can’t trust photos on the internet these days …and in this case on a website of somebody into colorisation πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜› )

Now I’m bracing myself for some nice sunset. And eagerly awaiting the archnemesis of all, a cat video πŸ˜‰ (I certainly wouldn’t see that one coming, in the past; IIRC you scoffed at the concept, Eugenia)