Why Star Wars can be surpassed

My husband and I re-watched Star Wars recently. After thinking about it, I decided that I liked Episode 4 the best, Episode 5 next, while Episode 6 I found it to be the worst of all other Episodes. I’m amazed Ep.6 is so highly rated on IMDb’s scoring, I’m guessing it has something to do with the original trilogy’s fanboys.

The general consensus is that George Lucas lost his filmmaking mojo around the time of Howard the Duck, and that the newer Episodes 1-3 are pretty mediocre at best. I don’t agree with this. In my opinion, George Lucas never had any filmmaking mojo to start with. All his works are mediocre when compared to more serious filmmaking. And yet, Lucas is more famous, richer and more accomplished than his competitors. Why?

Because his strong point is not filmmaking or script writing. It’s mythos. Giving life to a whole new universe. His movies have an extreme detail of the life forms, civilizations, interactions, surroundings, and how life generally looks like in these places. No other movie or franchise, apart from Star Trek, has ever managed to provide so much detail about its universe and make it so believable. That’s his strong point. That’s why Star Wars became what it is: because of its attention to detail. Other than that, the story-building itself is pretty traditional overall, and the dialog extremely cheesy.

Which means that Star Wars is a phenomena that can be surpassed. Of course, many tried and all failed, but if someone with the filmmaking abilities of Chris Nolan, and the imagination of George Lucas were to be born, we would be looking into the next big thing, franchise-wise. But unfortunately for us, if Nolan was that person, he spent all his younger and most-open minded & productive years paying lip service to DC Comics, creating the well-done, but otherwise incredibly formulaic and old-fashioned Batman series. I’d rather had Nolan create his own, next big thing.

Give me a view of how a galaxy and its inhabitants could look like, give me space travel, give me technology, give me action and incredible things — and of course a good story. Lucas got that right. Instead, Nolan gave us a depressed rich guy who plays dress up. God, I hate DC stories (and while Marvel stories are better, their Earth-bound concept is still not as inspiring as Lucas’).

Ivan wrote on June 29th, 2011 at 10:37 PM PST:

I felt a similar disappointment with Avatar. After reading so much rave reviews about it, I found the story mediocre, and the visuals nothing special (compared to recent video games). (I did watch it in 2D.) There are anime titles tapping in the same vein that are far more impressive but will never get the same level of global appreciation.

stormrider wrote on July 2nd, 2011 at 4:46 AM PST:

totally agree with both. Though I can understand the whole Star Wars mania,I never understood the fuss about Avatar.
To be perfectly honest, people in 100 years will look at Star Wars and laugh at as – for all the reasons you stated above. Or watch it like we would watch Flash Gordon today.
The only big-screen-saga that will survive will probably be Lord of the Rings… though again the last two movies were mediocre

Vlad wrote on July 3rd, 2011 at 2:53 PM PST:

It’s easy to be an armchair critic, but harder to create something of worth.

Maybe that’s why the best you are capable of doing is criticize.

Eugenia wrote on July 3rd, 2011 at 3:33 PM PST:

Vlad, if you’d read my blog recently, you’d read about my ideas for characters and stories for a new franchise. I have the vision alright. What I don’t have is 50 million dollars.

Ivan wrote on July 4th, 2011 at 3:18 AM PST:

Vlad,
Eugenia has proven her creativity on many occasions. I would not call her an ‘armchair critic’.

Victor wrote on July 7th, 2011 at 7:37 PM PST:

Yeah if you had $50 million and maybe all the talent in Hollywood you could, maybe you would, but in reality, you wont.

You think Star Wars was an easy sell? It was risky, it required some people putting their reputation and jobs on the line to say it’ll work out.

Hey Ivan, lots of people have creativity, but to it’s easy to talk than it is to do. It’s all cute and nice when it’s a hobby and Eugenia always said she’s a hobbyist.

Action requires risk, and you don’t dare take a risk. That’s why you rant.

You’re just another Harry Knowles. Just admit to it and move on. You’ll never get that $50 mil and you know it. That is if you don’t don’t dare to.

Those who dare, win!!

Eugenia wrote on July 7th, 2011 at 7:59 PM PST:

Victor, I rant because I have strong opinions. Not because I’m somehow bitter, or afraid to take financial risks. I’m realistic instead.

In the unlikely case that Hollywood was interested in my idea, they would probably just buy it from me, and I would have no creative control over it, or any other additional involvement whatsoever after that. See, I’m home-bound because of my illness. Do you think I can just go shoot in Morocco or wherever else? No way I can do that.

And as for simply trying to sell it: I don’t have a script. I have a plot outline. Scripts written by me would never be taken seriously, since I’m not a native speaker. For the actual script I did write 2 years ago for a short movie, English speakers took it apart. So, who’s going to buy “an idea”, a “plot outline”? Nobody in his right mind.

So this blog post is for those younger than me, those healthier than me, those with a better story idea than mine, and those who can write scripts. It’s not for me. It would have been for me if I was 10 years younger, before my illness destroyed my body. Then, maybe I would have persuaded the whole thing.

All I can do now, is simply tell young filmmakers that it can be done. That it all it requires is attention to detail for the universe they try to convey. You’re talking about budget and selling movies to studios, but my blog post talks about what kind of story to do from the moment you already have the funding. I mean, there are over 100 movies every year that cost over $25 mil each. And yet, none comes close to Star Wars in terms of a believable universe. That’s my point. Money for these studios/filmmakers is not the problem in this case. They already spend that money anyway. Imagination and vision is the problem instead.

Graham wrote on July 7th, 2011 at 9:50 PM PST:

I too never really liked the Star Wars thing. Always been more a Star Trek fan. I enjoyed the original movie (#4 I guess it is), but never got into the others, and stopped after #1. I do agree with you, Eugenia, re Luca, and the it is the mythos that made it big. But the characters etc,to me, ugh. But the most power part of this blog page, is your comment tonight at 7:59 PM. Wow. Honest and personal, and good points too. Not a native speaker? Well you write you blogs and articles very well. Maybe partner up with another writer for another script?