Girl Walks into a Bar

Friends, the international indie filmmaking revolution has started!

So here we are. The first feature film shot with a dSLR (7D), with a $1 mil USD budget, and which actually uses very popular actors!

Carla Gugino (Faster, Watchmen)
Zachary Quinto (Star Trek, “Heroes”)
Danny DeVito (Get Shorty, “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”)
Josh Hartnett (Thirty Days of Night, Pearl Harbor)
Rosario Dawson (Unstoppable, Grindhouse)
Emmanuelle Chriqui (“Entourage”, You Don’t Mess with the Zohan)
Aaron Tveit (Ghost Town, “Law and Order: SVU”)
Robert Forster, Academy Award nominee (Jackie Brown)
Amber Valletta (Hitch)
Gil Bellows (“Flash Forward,” The Shawshank Redemption)
Kevin Zegers (“Gossip Girl”)
Alexis Bledel (“Gilmore Girls,” The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants)
Michelle Ryan (“The Bionic Woman”)
Xander Berkeley (“Nikita”)

The movie feels like a theatrical play and what’s even cooler, it’s offered for free viewing on Youtube (switch to 720p):

Jeremy Widen wrote on March 14th, 2011 at 5:30 PM PST:

First off, great find. I love seeing high quality work shot with HDSLRs. It makes me more optimistic about my own filmmaking. So, thank you for sharing.
And my second note, on the film itself, is the story. I love the way it’s held together, and it keeps all the individual story lines separate, but still as one. That being said, there’s no ending. There’s no resolution, good or bad, for 90% of the characters. And without a resolution for them, it makes it feel like their scenes were added in as fluff to make the movie longer.
Just my opinion. And I think it looks amazing.

Glenn wrote on March 14th, 2011 at 7:56 PM PST:

No good, it’s blocked from being viewed in Australia πŸ™

Matt wrote on March 14th, 2011 at 9:39 PM PST:

Nothing if your in Canada. Fuck layers.

Eugenia wrote on March 14th, 2011 at 9:52 PM PST:

Well, it seems that Youtube only has the rights for the USA.

Glenn wrote on March 14th, 2011 at 11:55 PM PST:

Same thing for all the streaming services like Hulu etc, we don’t get any of those, and a large percentage of Vevo music videos on YouTube won’t work either.

Paulo wrote on March 15th, 2011 at 3:07 AM PST:

Blocked in Portugal and Spain.! oh how I love Internet democracy and freedom, what happened to the Internet that had no borders… I miss that!

memsom wrote on March 15th, 2011 at 3:13 AM PST:

Suffice to say – blocked in the UK.

memsom wrote on March 15th, 2011 at 3:36 AM PST:

Michelle Ryan is probably more famous for being in a popular Soap Opera in the UK. No one here saw Bionic Woman, because it was on a weird channel and ended abruptly. She was in the Soap for 3 or 4 years.

glenn wrote on March 16th, 2011 at 6:59 AM PST:

Good find…even though I have zero understanding as to why somebody would spend a million dollars to make a film and then offer it for free on youtube? I guess it will be available for a limited time to try to get the word out?

I watched the first ten minutes, which conveniently ended the first segment of the film. I mean perfectly at the 10 minute mark we know who the main character is and what the main problem of the story is.

The picture quality was good, as was the sound but the modern, film noir lighting blurred the lines between picture and letterbox…I’m not sure if it drew me in or annoyed me…

So far it is a little subdued with overly witty dialogue that somehow lacks any depth of wittiness…but it isn’t horrible and I am intrigued enough to watch another 10 minutes at a later time.

Brian wrote on March 16th, 2011 at 10:02 AM PST:

This does look great, but in the reference still you can see terrible moire and color fringing in the ping-pong net. Granted, your eyes are drawn…elsewhere in the frame due to the, uh, composition. πŸ™‚

It’s not just in the still either. Jump to 47:12 to see it in action.

Bruce Hildebrand wrote on March 17th, 2011 at 5:08 PM PST:

I wish I could see the film. Sadly it has been blocked in Canada.

Max wrote on March 19th, 2011 at 6:50 PM PST:

zima wrote on March 23rd, 2011 at 5:13 PM PST:

I’m sure there must be reasons why they don’t want me (and many others) to watch it; or why all those filthy, dirty piracylands… don’t ever get… a chance for legal and free / inexpensive way to watch or listen. πŸ˜‰

Oh well.

BTW, I suspect “feels like a theatrical play” could be a large part of how this digicam revolution might bring out new talent – there’s a lot of “indy” theaters around. If “TV Theater” can sometimes have absolute masterpieces… (I would link to one, a small scale spectacle on the occasion of two decades since martial law at my place; non-trite, portraying how the events destroyed also lives of the “collaborators” – but it loses a bit without the dialogue / translation seems nonexistent)