On the new Ubuntu distro

I decided to enter the Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase competition last June, and apparently I won! A small QVGA OGG version of the following video will be part of Ubuntu’s Creative Commons showcase in the new distro version, under the “examples” folder (there is a 2.5 MB limit, that was the real challenge). The bulk of my videos are licensed under the liberal Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license, and I hope more videographers do so too.

This is the first time I ever won anything, and it’s a pretty good feeling, since I felt a bit beaten down the last few days, after my music video shoot last weekend (apparently we need to re-shoot some scenes with the artist and possibly re-cast our female model).

Anyways, many thanks to the Ubuntu team! Can’t wait for the new release (my husband switched to Ubuntu recently too, in both his work PC, and at home currently). 🙂

Barkeater wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 4:29 AM PST:

And there’s a write-up about this at Planet Ubuntu http://planet.ubuntu.com/. Congratulations Eugenia.

Kragil wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 4:44 AM PST:

Congrats, I know you could (and would) win!

Well done!

PS. Did you use Theora 1.1 encoder? If not will you reencode for the release? (Ubuntu should be that flexible I hope)

Eugenia wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 5:17 AM PST:

Thanks! I encoded the video with the new theora optimizations back then (pre-release), so all is good.

Surftom wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 5:27 AM PST:

Well Done, Eugenia! You should be very proud. Now go and shoot some more 😉

Tom

genius wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 5:38 AM PST:

The credits are the end of the clip and are just a flash. I suppose that this happens with lots of videos in the internet and probably most of them don’t even include credits.

I couldn’t see the credits frame it just a flash… And video frame is the worst place for placing credits.

So I want to make a suggestion: could you please talk to those video hosting sites to provide a metadata input and display of credits and attribution outside the video file. This should encourage uploaders and creators to properly provide these details.

Having the credits on the film itself is the worst solution; even in commercial films and tv series, where the credits make viewing of the first 5 to 10 minutes almost impossible.

Embedding the information in the file as metadata would the ideal solution but most file formats either don’t allow metadata or when it’s available is crippled, difficult to use or badly supported. The tools to enter this information are non existent and, as far as i know, no web site reads this information if it’s available.

Both audio and image are light years ahead in this department. A lot discussion happens about compression/file format but very little about video metadata; no standard, like XMP for image files.

Eugenia wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 6:07 AM PST:

Depending on the video player used, and how it plays back video, the last frame never goes away. Some players might return the playback to frame 1, others just stay at the last frame. When you watch the video on Vimeo it stays at the last frame btw (Vimeo is my reference because it’s what I mostly use — I don’t like youtube much). Plus, you can always pause the screen.

I **do** want to ALSO have the credits as a video frame in addition to metadata, because in the event where someone re-encodes my downloaded video. I always, always, include credit screens on my videos for these legal reasons. Love them or hate them, they are a good backup.

BTW, I couldn’t leave the last screen for much longer without compromising the filesize restriction (2.5 MB is VERY tight for video), or without changing the pacing (the video changes scenes depending on the music, so everything had to be timed, and stay within the limit).

Regardless, the OGG video that Ubuntu will use has all the metadata in place, in fact, I made absolutely sure that both the audio and the video parts have separate metadata (VLC 1.x can read these properly, other GUI apps not so much). Not only that, but I emailed the ffmpeg2theora developer at the time to request the feature for separate metadata for A/V, because I recognized the need for it.

Tom Dison wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 7:04 AM PST:

Hooray for you! Keep up the good work and … keep writing.

tOnGAs wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 9:24 AM PST:

Congrats for your win! I wonder: will you still be allowed to express some criticism about Ubuntu? 😉

Kragil wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 9:37 AM PST:

Jono kinda acknowledged Eugenias constructive criticism (some say bitching) and I sure hope it won’t go away. Although I vastly disagree about the future of FOSS, I still think Eugenias words about the current state of things are very objective and insightful.

William Eggington wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 10:09 AM PST:

Very very cool. Congratulations.

Yanni wrote on October 1st, 2009 at 3:12 PM PST:

Congrats Eugenia! Awesome!

Vast Majority wrote on October 2nd, 2009 at 12:03 AM PST:

Why am I not surprised? Nevertheless, congratulations!

Carlos R Dueñas wrote on October 2nd, 2009 at 7:21 AM PST:

Congratulations !!! Its true, just keep the excellent work, dont stop..i really like the drading…

m wrote on October 4th, 2009 at 9:07 AM PST:

Congratulations, well done.
Question – would it be possible to create this videography using only tools available on Ubuntu desktop?

Eugenia wrote on October 4th, 2009 at 11:46 AM PST:

No, it is not possible. Especially the color grading part.