Shooting a wedding

I am shooting a wedding for a friend this weekend, and along enough tapes, a second battery, and two additional HD digicams (Panasonic FX150 and Canon SX200 IS) sitting on tripods, the following Canon HV20 camcorder will be the main rig that I will be using.

JBQ will be shooting still pictures with his Canon 5D, and he will be taking care one of the two digicams (video recording must be restarted every 15 minutes, because of FAT32 limitations). I just need to find a second person at the wedding (possibly a kid) to take care of the second digicam.

David wrote on August 4th, 2009 at 6:57 PM PST:

Hey,
Where did you buy the shoulder mount, it looks perfect for weddings or even run and gun type shooting.

Eugenia wrote on August 4th, 2009 at 8:48 PM PST:

On B&H, it’s this model. Works fine.

blover wrote on August 4th, 2009 at 11:47 PM PST:

I wish you well bet you both can at least pull of a great highlights video with a good soundtrack from amazon you can take from the DJ’s playlist… I’ll hope for some good vows audio that can be tricky even for experienced people… Just keep it natural, like a documentary, and I’m sure you’ll do great.

Robert wrote on August 6th, 2009 at 4:40 AM PST:

Good luck. Shotting unplanned videos like a wedding with consumer equipment is a hard challenge. I bet it is easy to shot it with and old-fashioned but pro gear like, let’s say, a Sony DSR-300 shoulder mount SD 4:3 dvcam.

David Rabkin wrote on August 6th, 2009 at 8:25 AM PST:

Eugenia,

Thank you for the weblog, I read it religiously.

I’m looking for a mic for my HV20. I want to interview people mostly. What do you think about the Rode mic?

David

Eugenia wrote on August 6th, 2009 at 11:03 AM PST:

The Rode mic is fine for interviews on the street. But if you want to interview people indoors, then get a lavalier and an extension cord.

Robert wrote on August 6th, 2009 at 11:07 AM PST:

Shure SM58 is the must-have mic for interviews. Moreover, it is dynamic so no phantom power is needed and it should work with the HV20 provided you put an XLR to minijack adapter.

Eugenia wrote on August 6th, 2009 at 11:26 AM PST:

No reason for complications like XLR adapters. It’s really not needed. You just get a cheap lavalier mic, and a bigger mic for run and gun interviews, and you’re fine. If you are going to want to make things more complicated, get a better camera first.

Robert wrote on August 6th, 2009 at 11:58 AM PST:

No complicated at all. I use a shure SM58 mic for my Sony FX1 with a simple pin-to-pin XLR to minijack adapter all the time. Get and XLR conector, get a minijack conector and connect them pin to pin, that’s it. It works perfectly.

All the useable mics come with XLR conectors, so you must use this adapter if your camera does not have XLR inputs. Lavaliere mics are condenser mics and they need phantom power that your hv20 will not supply. In this case you can use a Beachtek adapter, it works ok, but it is not cheap.

blover wrote on August 6th, 2009 at 1:54 PM PST:

For a documentary interview you would NEVER want to have those big broadcaster mics within view(unless it’s american idol or howard stern-like show). You should get a good shotgun mic (at least >$150 new) like an Azden and either mount it on hv20(if less than 10 feet away) or get a boom mic and long cord and have a helper hold it up.

David Rabkin wrote on August 7th, 2009 at 3:14 AM PST:

@Eugenia OK, I need something with a cord. I like big mic and don’t like lavalier 🙂

@Robert I think that shure SM58 is what I’m looking for. It’s relatively cheap, solid and legendary. On some blogs I saw recommendation to use it with an amplifier, because of construction specifics. How do you use the mic? Also what’s “simple pin-to-pin XLR to minijack adapter”? Where I can get it?

Thanks in advance.

Robert wrote on August 7th, 2009 at 1:54 PM PST:

Hi David, There’s no need for an amplifier, it works just fine without it.

Check out these interviews. All the audio has been recorded using a shure sm58 via minijack:

Regargind the adapter. I have build it myself. It is easy if you know how to weld. Just pick up and Female-XLR plug and a 3.5mm male minijack. I think you can also buy an XLR to jack converter and then add a 6.3mm jack to 3.5mm jack converter. Sorry for the bad description. Sounds complicated but actually is very easy. I can send you picture of it if you want.

David Rabkin wrote on August 10th, 2009 at 4:58 AM PST:

@Robert I saw the clip, it’s very nice. With the mic I’m going to buy adapter http://bit.ly/9HG7a, is it what you meant? Also I found this set http://bit.ly/rSULE interesting. I’d like to record my voice 🙂 Did I miss something?

Thanks,