Meet Fade, the HV20 photographer

This is the art of Fade from TN, USA. Fade uses the modest (but legendary) 3.1 MP Canon HV20 camcorder to shoot her amazingly artistic and beautiful pictures. I am a huge fan of her art and I had to write this blog post, as a shrine to her art. She’s yet one bright example showing us that you don’t need the best camera to shoot the best photograph or the best video. You just need to have the vision, and the skill. Enjoy.

Finally, a few more nice pictures shot by others with the HV20.

Philip Goh wrote on July 25th, 2009 at 2:26 AM PST:

You should take a look at Chase Jarvis’ photos that were taken using an iPhone.

Gear is no substitute for talent and hardwork.

Eric Holfowitz wrote on July 25th, 2009 at 1:59 PM PST:

Sorry to burst the bubble but I see a lot of Photoshop here, not enough for giving credit to the camera or the photographer.

Eugenia wrote on July 25th, 2009 at 2:23 PM PST:

>I see a lot of Photoshop here

There is no artistic photograph these days without Photoshop. Everything goes through it. I don’t expect anything less from anyone.

This is not a post showing what great dynamic range the HV20 has, but it shows that even with that camera, when you know how to shoot and post-process it (yes, with Photoshop), you can get amazing results as an END result (not in terms of getting a magnifying glass to see if the pixels were good).

Eric Holfowitz wrote on July 25th, 2009 at 2:37 PM PST:

Altough the Iphone photographer link it’s pretty good. And for the Photoshop, I’ve seen some good pictures taken with a Motorola V3.

debt reduction wrote on July 31st, 2009 at 8:27 AM PST:

love this post thanks for it

FADE wrote on August 2nd, 2009 at 3:28 PM PST:

“I see a lot of Photoshop here, not enough for giving credit to the camera or the photographer.”

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you, Mr. Holfowitz. As my photography teacher once said, “I don’t care how f*cking perfect the picture is, it can always be improved with Photoshop.” Of course, it’s best to make the alterations in real life, before you take the picture, to save time in post-processing. But not everyone can afford fancy shmancy lights and reflectors and whatnot. I do the best I can with what I have. I am not ashamed to say that I use Photoshop. It doesn’t detract from the quality of my photos (if anything it ADDS to it) and by no means does it undermine my artistic integrity. I edit my photographs much the same way an artist would paint a canvas. There is no filter that automatically makes my photos look the way they do. A lot of time and effort goes into each one. I often “paint” them by hand using different Photoshop brushes and tools until the image on the screen matches the image in my head.

That aside, the Canon HV20 is an impressive little video camera that takes amazing pictures as well, even without Photoshop.

Thanks for the post Eugenia! It’s always nice to meet a “fan” 🙂