I meant to do that years ago, but hey, it’s never too late. My little baby, the browser detection kit for usage with mobile sites. More info at OSNews.
Archive for April 24th, 2008
I got pwned by a guy on IM today:
Anonymous: Hey, Eugenia, would you like the URL to download the movie “Jumper”?
Anonymous: Why not?
Eugenia: I don’t do piracy.
Anonymous: It’s not piracy!!! You watch it, and if you like it, you buy it.
Eugenia: No, it does not work this way. You don’t eat the tomato before you buy it.
Anonymous: No, but you can see if a tomato is good or not before you buy it. So you would buy a rotten tomato?
Eugenia: You can still read reviews and watch a trailer for a movie. And you can go to IMDb.com and read more reviews and comments.
Anonymous: So, if I want to buy a tomato I need to first ask the shop owner if his tomatoes are good or not?
Eugenia: Sure, why not?
Anonymous: Because the only thing he wants to do is sell, sell, sell…
Eugenia: You can only buy from the people you know that they have good tomatoes.
Anonymous: Well, see, I already paid for the movie in the theater.
Eugenia: Yes, but you paid for the cinema view, not for a free copy. You are not allowed to copy movies. You should wait and buy the DVD.
Anonymous: Yes, I will buy the DVD too. From that Chinese guy around the corner!!
* This cold was so hard on me that last night I was extremely tired at 8:30 PM (and I’ve done nothing all day). I slept until 8 AM the next day. Today, I still feel weak (and bored).
* Sony wants to add a video renting service to the PS3. But they are doing the same mistake again as they have done for other products. Instead of using established solutions, they re-invent the wheel. I can tell you right now that I have no interest whatsoever opening a new Sony account and paying-per-movie. What I wanted is Netflix support, where I already have an account and I can watch as many movies as I want for $10 per month. THAT’S what needed to be done, but noooo, Sony has to fuck it up again.
* I am hearing that the 3-part finale of “Lost” is very powerful and twisty, like last year’s. Because of that I am seriously thinking of stop reading spoilers. Just so I can see how it feels if you don’t know what’s going on. Must… stop… clicking… http://SpoilersLost.blogspot.com/
* OSNews reports that the XO might become XP-only. The problem here is that they finally realize that OSS is not the only usable solution that exists. Use the best tool for the job, free from philosophical ideas. I am a hard realist when it comes to my tools, be it software or a screwdriver. Cause these are nothing but tools. People should stop idolizing them.
* I was thinking about Vista the other day. As you know I am a big supporter of backwards compatibility for the sake of the convenience of users. However, Vista has so much craft in it, that I believe that Windows 7 should simply be a next-gen 64bit-only OS, written from scratch. No old craft in it. This would place it for release in about 5-6 years from now. And it would only work originally with a small set of hardware parts. DOS/XP compatibility would only be via a virtualizer, no native support. And it would be a huge risk. But I think it’s a must at this point because Windows is too complex right now for any MS engineer and architect to handle it properly and develop for it.
* You might have read that Nokia will now distribute Qt on the N-series internet tablets. I don’t know for sure, but if we are to believe the rumors, that’s why half of the desktop UI team of Hildon at Nokia quit a few short weeks ago. Not because these devs hate Qt, but come on, working on a GTK UI for 3 years and then having a foreign toolkit forced into the platform like this, it’s going to sting a lot these developers. Can’t blame them, it’s their sweat.
* It’s Easter for the Orthodox Christians this Sunday. I wish I was in Greece to eat. Eat a lot of this lamb. Eat until my stomach develops an ulcer.
* For now, I am bored.