Adobe, Flash, Apple, iPhone and trolls

Engadget posted the news that Adobe will port Flash to the iPhone. I replied there:

“Excuse me, but am I missing something here? You see, I am NOT interested in the “Flash Lite 3.0” standalone application, like the ones found on many cellphones. I am interested in a full Flash plugin FOR the web browser. The LICENSE of the SDK *specifically prohibits* “plugins”. Unless Adobe kisses and makes up with Apple to get special treatment, there CAN’T BE a web browser Flash plugin. Lite or full.”

The reply I got from another user:
“I just adblocked your avatar. If that’s really you, I am very sorry.”

Flash-forward to today. Engadget makes a new story about Adobe and Apple:

“we do need to work with Apple beyond and above what is available through the SDK and the current license around it” and “if we see this package pop up in the App Store later this year, we’ll know that at least one company’s been given a free pass to break the rules.”

Ugly or not, I am usually right.

Bob K wrote on March 20th, 2008 at 1:51 AM PST:

It’s pretty clear that Apple doesn’t want the iPhone to run Flash. Lots of reason, the best of which is that it’s non-standard. Funny how ten years ago, everybody was complaining about Flash on the web, now it’s become accepted. But it definitely leads to browser bloat. Frankly, if Apple successfully led a fight to eliminate/replace Flash from the web, I’d be perfectly happy with it.

I’m half Greek, and my grandmother used to try to fix me up with Greek girls. Not sure what it is, but there’s a look that doesn’t fit American tastes. Strange, since Greek men are so handsome. 😉

miscz wrote on March 20th, 2008 at 3:05 AM PST:

Flash is non-standard? It is actually the only widespread cross-platform, semi-reliable way of playing video on web. It has its problems but remember what was it like before Flash became what it is now?
And what would Apple replace it with? Streaming H.264/AAC via QuickTime plugin for OSX/Windows (for Apple Linux doesn’t exist) – thanks but NO.

Bob K wrote on March 20th, 2008 at 3:45 AM PST:

Well, Flash is proprietary, not part of HTML/CSS or any other open spec…. in any event, it’s something that can’t be built into a browser. As I said, Apple seems to be pushing toward open specs, and they apparently don’t want to open up Safari to multiple plug-ins. The potential for plug-in makers to screw up iPhone users and weaken security is just too enormous. They might support Adobe, but things look fairly chilly right now. If I’m not mistaken, Apple’s own web site is now Flash-free.

Notice that I qualified my comments: “if Apple *successfully* led a fight to eliminate/replace Flash,” I’d be okay with it. If they can’t, then they can’t.

It does sort of suck that a proprietary browser plugin has become necessary to view much of the web. People use Flash for things it’s not needed for, just because it’s become commonplace. Sort of like a weed.

herman wrote on March 20th, 2008 at 4:08 AM PST:

Apple seems to be pushing toward open specs

You serious??

steve wrote on March 20th, 2008 at 4:39 AM PST:

You are now ignored. And you’ll be hearing from the immigration office shortly.

Irony is thy name wrote on March 20th, 2008 at 10:59 AM PST:

Ugly or not, I am usually right.

Nice to know that you don’t consider that level of triumphalism beneath you. It’s just so great that you’re not concerned that people will think your post is merely a childish “I told you so.”

Bravo for your lack of pretensions.

Eugenia wrote on March 20th, 2008 at 12:14 PM PST:

But it is “I told you so”. And I am very satisfied with it. Why not? You think I will leave the satisfaction to assholes like you? I deserve some too.

Irony is thy name wrote on March 23rd, 2008 at 10:21 AM PST:

But it is “I told you so”. And I am very satisfied with it. Why not?

Maybe because you’re past than the age of 12? Maybe if you were concerned about exercising some personal restraint, rather than acting like a self-indulgent child? Purely hypothetical, of course.

My sincere apologies for interrupting orgy of self-congratulation, though.

Eugenia wrote on March 23rd, 2008 at 11:14 AM PST:

So I’ll let everyone ride me while I “restrain” myself.

Just like your email address reads on my backend: Fuck off.