Optimism in my pessimism

As most of you know, I am a pessimist. I am all dark and gloomy regarding the future. However, it is in the nature of humans to also be optimists. And indeed, I am an optimist for a few things.

One of those things is about the existence of aliens. Most of us agree that there is life elsewhere in the universe. But most disagree that such life is actually intelligent and visiting this planet as we speak.

I choose to believe that they do visit us. Not only because I have personally witnessed a UFO, but mostly for the following reason: If we accept that no alien race is visiting us or has visited us, then it’s safe to assume that WE will never be able to reach another inhabiting planet.

And we all know what this would mean: death for the human race. And that’s where this optimism, or faith if you like, kicks in. It has nothing to do with proof, but a glimpse of hope for our own race instead.

Frank Miller wrote on March 8th, 2008 at 12:46 PM PST:

Good heavens. While I follow your train of thought, I have lots of trouble with your logic.

There are LOTS of reasons why aliens may have never visited us (yet, I believe they are out there too).

The assumption that if they have not visited us its not possible for us to visit them either is just plain fallacy in logic. They teach this is a first year CS logic course, a->b does not mean b->a.

And if we can’t leave the planet en masse, it does not mean the death of the human race. It means there will ultimately be a maximum number of people that can exist here, thats all.

I’m sorry you’re such a pessimist. Were it that we could turn you to optimism!

FM

Phil wrote on March 8th, 2008 at 2:34 PM PST:

Yes, I agree there’s life elsewhere in the universe, but despite an awful lot of cameras out there I’ve seen no credible visual evidence they’ve come here (the Aurora spy plane on the other hand). It seems the speed of light constraint is God’s little way of telling us to mind our (and their) own business.

As for the survival of the human race I’ve met enough of them to state that I don’t really care … 😉

Eugenia wrote on March 8th, 2008 at 3:31 PM PST:

>There are LOTS of reasons why aliens may have never visited us

Indeed. But I prefer to think of the most obvious reason: because it’s difficult to do so. And if that is the case, then we might be at the same shit too.

Nita wrote on March 8th, 2008 at 5:02 PM PST:

I believe there does exist alien life somewhere in the universe besides just on Earth, and I do believe they are intelligent lifeforms too (of course, there would be less intelligent ones also) but I do not believe that they have ever visited Earth. I have not seen any even remotely believable evidence of such.

But well, as to the reason why they might not have visited Earth can be almost anything: they’re technological progression has just advanced in to completely other direction than ours, they might not have even tried to advance far technologically, they might live so far that their technology just isn’t advanced enough to reach us (yet), or even they could just wish not to visit us at all before we can do space travel on our own..

Also let’s not forget that we are aliens to them. So, it could just as well be that one day in the future we are the technologically superior race visiting other cultures.

Dave Rosky wrote on March 8th, 2008 at 8:11 PM PST:

Like you, I believe that it is extremely likely that there is intelligent life outside of earth. As others have pointed out, however, there are numerous reasons why they may not have visited us. The famous “Drake Equation” contains several quantities that are difficult to pin down to even within several orders of magnitude.

The thing I would like to add, though, is that even if other intelligent life *is* very sparse in the galaxy, it doesn’t necessarily have to spell certain doom for us. There are likely far more *habitable* planets out there than *inhabited* ones. We don’t necessarily need to find inhabited planets to survive, just habitable ones. The real question, of course, is whether the economics, politics, and psychology of largours will ultimately allow for the decision to go and colonize those habitable worlds. That’s where I’m the most pessimistic – not whether we will someday be able to do it, but whether we will have the will to do it.

Dave Rosky wrote on March 8th, 2008 at 8:13 PM PST:

I had a bad typo in my last post. Where it says “largours”, it should say “our society”.

The Blue wrote on March 9th, 2008 at 10:59 AM PST:

I watched the “Out of the Blue” UFO documentary linked in your other post.

Definitely interesting stuff. They have a website here.

Jacob Munoz wrote on March 10th, 2008 at 9:20 AM PST:

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that I DO think aliens have (or perhaps currently do) pass through our system. We may simply not be significant enough (technologically, evolution-wise, or culturally) for them to feel the need to ‘speak’ to us – they just drive by like we drive past cows. Our oceans are a convenient ‘refueling stop’ – and many UFO sightings involve fast lights ‘flying’ through water (a method of supercavitation allows for this), so perhaps we’re just a mossy blue gas station to them.

Or you could go down the pessimistic route of this and say they refuse to speak to us because of our behaviour. Maybe they once used-to work with ancient humans, but we got greedy and violent and now their afraid we’ll misuse their technology if we get the chance – so they give us the ‘silent treatment’…

Anything’s possible, but for us to be absolutely alone is the nearest thing to impossible.