Random stuff, Part 7

* Polaroid film is now past. It’s the end of an era. I only shot Polaroid film maybe twice in my life (I have very few pictures of my childhood and friends, we never had a camera in my family until the recent years), but it still feels sad.

* If I am right (I am probably not), the season finale of Lost’s 5th season (next year), it would be all about how the Oceanic Six had to leave the island, and as a flash-forward, how they come back. It would be very interesting, from the director’s point of view, to put together the two scenes: the Oceanic Six leaving the island, and some of them eventually coming back to the island years later. Two opposite scenes, back to back, within 3-5 minutes. And they can add some poetic justice into it, having the Six being unhappy leaving the island because they leave people behind, and happy coming back to it for the final act, after having spent 5 seasons wanting to get out of there. That would be killer. That would be art. I am pretty confident that this is how it’s going to play out.

* Popular Mechanics site has a very nice analysis on the “Lost” helicopter, and why the science around it doesn’t work.

* I was thinking earlier that “Lost”‘s and “24”‘s seasons airing at the second half of the TV season makes sense. The reason many shows lose viewership is because of the 2-month hiatus every year because of the Christmas season. TV networks could instead have completely different programming for Fall and different one for Spring. For fall: 12 episodes of a given series from September 10th to December 10th. For Spring: 18 episodes for another series from 15 January to end of May at the same timeslot. This way, you eliminate the problem of overworking the crew for 26-episodes (that’s what they used to do in the past), you have back to back episodes without holes so you retain your viewership, and you have a richer programme. And if you give writers artistic freedom and an end-date like the “Lost” writers have, you can do miracles. Problem is, TV networks would never agree to such a schedule, and the main reason is because they need to know when to cancel a show or not. The way it works now, they use their Fall ratings to decide if they will cancel shows or not. By doing this 12+18 you need to know beforehand how many episodes to order, and that can be proven expensive if the show is not a success.

* I posed the question over at DarkUFO’s site about how viewers watch “Lost”. Apparently, 25% of them pirate it. However, let’s be clear about it: the people who pirate it, are mostly viewers from other countries that their TV channels will either never show “Lost”, or they broadcast these episodes weeks or months later. This is simple a clear cut clue that “selling shows abroad” does not work anymore. The Internet has taken barriers down, and everything that’s time critical, it has to happen NOW, otherwise face lots of piracy. I think that TV networks should stop thinking of making money by selling shows abroad as much as they could in the past, and instead open their web sites for everyone (not IP-lock them as ABC does these days), and add ads in there, and let EVERYONE, from any country in the world, to watch these shows. Money, again, should come from ads. Sure, ads won’t be as targeted anymore, but what can you do? At least you could potentially have more viewers as long as IGMP Multicast takes off with routers/ISPs. Interestingly, in the poll, so far the iTunes option has 0%.

* Sushi tonight, out with my JBQ. Yum!

Cesar wrote on February 8th, 2008 at 9:02 PM PST:

Yes… I’m one of those who needs to download. They’re only going to broadcast Lost on AXN (do you have that channel?) next year, if we are lucky enough.

Jim wrote on February 8th, 2008 at 9:35 PM PST:

It was interesting to me, the guy that owns Troma films said that for years the Toxic Avenger and his other films have been pirated into Russia and he is glad, because now he has a market in that country and didn’t have to spend a dime to develop it.
It ironic that pirating video, music and movies often creates market that the distributer then can profit from.
In a way it was like the relationship between songwriters and Elvis. Elvis would buy the song for next to nothing, but the prestige of being a songwriter that Elvis had recorded your songs, instantly made every song in your catalog valuable.
I have no access to Lost and so am lost when you guys talk about it, but I am hoping it will show up at the rental store or the used bookstore.

Eugenia wrote on February 9th, 2008 at 12:10 AM PST:

Jim, as I said the other day, go to ABC’s website, ALL episodes of Lost are available there, for free, in HD high quality.

memson wrote on February 9th, 2008 at 2:37 AM PST:

I download Lost out of tradition. Historically, we got Lost 6 to 8 months after it was aired in the States, here in the UK. But Sky have it now. Season 3 was shown, to begin with, 3 or 4 weeks later, then caught up after the short break. Season 4 is being shown on the Sunday after the US broadcast. You can only get Sky One on sattelite now though, and we have cable. However, iTunes has Lost in the tv shows section. I could, if it came to it, find a way to legally watch it. I download though, because it suits me best.

Is anyone else finding that the ‘recaptcha’ anti-spam text is becoming less and less readable?

Thom Holwerda wrote on February 9th, 2008 at 7:26 AM PST:

I download too – Dutch synchronisation starts like a year or more after the original airing, and usually, the schedule is sketchy and the timeslots jump around like a kangaroo.

So I download it off Torrent. I’d be happy to download a proper HD version from ABC’s website including a few commercials. It would have to go live like right after the original TV airing, though.

memson wrote on February 9th, 2008 at 3:30 PM PST:

Thom: you can stream the HD content from ABC.com really easily. I expect you know this, but for those that don’t – install a VPN (there are a number of free ones), ABC.com then looks like it would work, except no videos ever start and you get an error message. Re-set your PC clock to a US timezone and, hey presto, it starts to let you stream.

memson wrote on February 9th, 2008 at 3:32 PM PST:

I missed out the important phrase “in Europe”… these.

Andy wrote on February 11th, 2008 at 8:28 AM PST:

Watch out – Watching TV kills your brain slowly! ;-P

Kevin wrote on February 11th, 2008 at 12:47 PM PST:

I’ll tell you that a large number of us college folk pirate tv shows and movies. Mainly for the fact that we are just too damn busy when the shows actually air, and most of the time we don’t have time to watch tv or movies until late at night. And we would rather dl the torrent than use the free legal website because streaming just sucks.