French cheese fondue

This (originally Swiss) recipe is directly from JBQ, who as a good Frenchman is cooking Cheese Fondue for us regularly during winter. You will need an electrical fondue pot, which costs about $50.

Ingredients (for 6)
* 1 day old French bread or 2 days old country style white bread
* 1 kg of cheese (1/3 emmental, 1/3 comte, 1/3 beaufort)
* 1 bottle of dry white wine
* 1/5 teaspoon nutmeg
* pepper

Execution
1. Grate the cheeses, or just cut them in very small pieces.
2. Cut the bread in medium size cubes and set aside.
3. Turn ON the fondue pot on high heat. Add the cheese, wine, pepper, nutmeg and using a wooden spoon keep stirring to melt the cheese and evaporate the wine.
4. When the cheese is all melted a few minutes later, lower the heat to medium-high, and place a piece of bread at the tip of your fondue stick. Using the stick, dip the bread into the fondue pot to get some hot cheese on it. Enjoy!

Cheese fondue

Mathias wrote on January 24th, 2008 at 1:04 AM PST:

Blasphemy Eugenia, Cheese Fondue is a swiss meal.

Eugenia wrote on January 24th, 2008 at 1:08 AM PST:

It is. But this is the way my husband makes it. Fondue is very popular in France too you see.

bob c wrote on January 24th, 2008 at 9:45 AM PST:

sweet, i got a fondue pot and recipe book for xmas. will give your recipe a try. thanks
sent from my wii

Nita wrote on January 24th, 2008 at 1:48 PM PST:

Nice! I saw this on OSnews and it sure sounds tasty :3 Going to try this, atleast when I find a dictionary which mentions what the heck “nutmeg” is… ( I’m finnish, I can’t know every possible english word :O )

Kevin wrote on January 24th, 2008 at 5:58 PM PST:

Nutmeg is the genus myristica if that helps. 🙂 It can be used as a recreational drug for people who are really really bored and stupid, but it has very unpleasent side effects.

I’ve never had fondue… sounds interesting.

Moulinneuf wrote on January 25th, 2008 at 2:51 AM PST:

“I find a dictionary”

Your on a computer : use Wikipedia.