Regarding artistic creativity

I have come to realize that I am not an artist. By “artist” I mean the ability to take something ugly, boring or not important and make it look attractive, abstract or just “different”. I can’t do that. For example, look at Fabian’s video here, he’s obviously an artist. I could never create something like it. If someone gave me a storyboard and mockups, I could easily put such a video together at the *technical* level. I know how to recreate it, but I can’t initiate it.

I think the reason why I am not an artist is because I am a hard harsh realist. If something doesn’t make “logical sense” (visually or not), I just don’t use that footage. I discard it. And yet, that same footage can be a work of art at the hands of an artist. Although not everything is lost: I believe that I can put documentaries or other realistic material together pretty well, and I believe I can go as far as creating a presentable music video clip. Maybe even a simple short movie. But creating truly “artsy” stuff, that, I can’t do.

Gnothi seauton.

Ivan wrote on January 4th, 2008 at 4:31 AM PST:

Eugenia, I have the same feeling. Just look at and you know what I mean… I love Vegas because it is stable and allows me to produce nice homemovies on dvd, no more than that. I guess this is a humbling lesson… But on the other hand, some of these vimeo guys have been doing this for years, while we are just starting!

Ivan wrote on January 4th, 2008 at 4:35 AM PST:

Luis wrote on January 4th, 2008 at 5:57 AM PST:

The hard thing about making videos on your own is that you are supposed to know a bit of everything, while in professional movies each person is good at only one thing (and not necessarily needs this kind of artistic talent).

Still, you can do artistic projects without having the kind of talent to start on your own from scratch. You can borrow ideas from anywhere (plays, short stories, pictures, paintings, music, other movies,…) Sometimes knowing what to borrow and how to mix it is the key to make something of great artistic value.

Eugenia wrote on January 4th, 2008 at 11:49 AM PST:

Ivan, Charlie is one of my favorites too.

Joe_O wrote on January 4th, 2008 at 8:49 PM PST:

I disagree. The video’s you posted below show your artistry. What makes any piece Art is the emotional content not necessarily how cool and artsy it is. All you have to ask yourself is did you get the emotion/mood/opinion across that you wanted. Its pretty cool because you can see improvement in the videos that you posted recently and the videos you first posted. Oh, I have to thank you for all the info you’ve posted on your blog. Your a lifesaver!

jeff wrote on January 7th, 2008 at 6:36 AM PST:

Those youngins on vimeo and elsewhere are very good at using the software to create cool effects and emotion, and I understand how you feel by that I have trouble matching their insight myself.

But have you ever noticed that people who do those things are more proportionally young and uneducated and probably have nothing else interesting to discuss? In fact, I’d say the same thing about users of Adobe Photoshop and graphic design in general is populated by people who dropped out of high school and didn’t feel like doing anything more intelligent such as study science or engineering. But ya got to love them this shortage of engineers (English Speaking, well-communicative) will surely keep my salary comfortable for the rest of my life.