Gore slams U.S. on climate change

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, fresh from accepting the Nobel peace prize for his work on climate change awareness, sided with the Europeans. “My own country, the United States, is principally responsible for obstructing progress here in Bali. We all know that,” he said.

How about running for president, getting elected, and fixing the problem, instead of shouting at deaf ears? He’s got enough popularity now to get him elected.

jeff wrote on December 13th, 2007 at 4:49 PM PST:

It took me 1 hour to get home after work today instead of the normal 25 minutes. See, another factor in the equation is transportation planning. The automobile is now the only we have been given. Even to this very second, the people in charge of our transportation, here in Georgia and there in Cali, are only looking at building more roads and widening roads, instead of looking into alternative ways like in Europe.

The problem is not energy people!!!!! Its PLANNING!!! Even if there WAS a sustainable energy source it would NOT resolve America’s transportation problems!

mikesum32 wrote on December 13th, 2007 at 5:25 PM PST:

He wouldn’t win. He sort-a-kind-a-maybe won in 2000, but not now. He said he can do more as a private citizen.

Andrew wrote on December 14th, 2007 at 12:40 AM PST:

It’s embarrassing that we (Canada) are supporting the US position πŸ™

Wes McGee wrote on December 14th, 2007 at 4:39 AM PST:

Agree with “mikesum32”. Too many lunatics exist in our government for him to actually succeed in getting anything solved. Conservatives keep electing lunatics like Inhofe who is famous for saying that Global Warming is the biggest hoax perpetrated by mankind, and call people like Al Gore “Nazis”. And his brand of insanity isn’t unique. It’s the party platform for the major conservative party here, right up there with “Creationism is a valid science”, “Torture Works” and “Mission Accomplished”. And there is still enough of them to stall action until this place is nice and warm, like Venus.

Jacob Munoz wrote on December 14th, 2007 at 2:17 PM PST:

Like those above, I think Gore’s chances of making a significant impact as president would be slim – but that doesn’t mean that he even COULD do as much as he is doing now. If Gore were in office, he would be forced to compromise his ideals just to deal with the office – but as an outsider (a WELL respected outsider), I believe he can do much more for the cause without worrying about personal political consequences. You don’t get elected to be King (something Bush doesn’t really understand), so even if you’re a saint you don’t have real REAL control over government policy (unless you’re sneaky and underhanded – something Gore isn’t).

If Gore was president, he would NEVER be able to say that the US is preventing pollution reform – he’d be called a traitor, unpatriotic, etc.. even though he’s 100.6% correct. His non-presidency gives him opportunities to do things a president wouldn’t dare.

And as far as transportation is concerned, it’s not the traffic that kills – it’s the energy source consumed! If I could just dump rainwater in my ‘gas’ tank – I’d happily sit in traffic for five hours a day. Let’s fix the energy problem, then worry about luxuries like fast commutes. Yes, cars are a problem – but most of their problem is the pollution and cost of gas, now if they were electric or H2O-powered would we really moan about it? I’ll happily breathe steam instead of NOx, CO, CO2, and the trees won’t mind being misted a bit either. Traffic, phfeh.. try Northern Virginia/ Wash.DC for size – it’s hell!

-kf wrote on December 14th, 2007 at 5:08 PM PST:

He also has little credibility. He flies around in his own private jet, lives in a house that is an ecological nightmare and his “Inconvenient Truth” is so full of exaggeration and unsupported bleating that it has no claim to objectivity.

Global warming is a hoax perpetuated by those who want the UN to carbon tax prosperous countries into subjection. The US should politely remind the UN whose soil their headquarters is located on…

Eugenia wrote on December 14th, 2007 at 5:27 PM PST:

>Global warming is a hoax

Kf, give us a break. You sound like a bigot, a blind nationalist.

Moulinneuf wrote on December 15th, 2007 at 8:58 AM PST:

Gore’s house.

Guy Martin wrote on December 17th, 2007 at 2:43 PM PST:

Kf – exactly! Sorry Eugenia, have to disagree with you here. Look at the article on his house – while the steps he took were laudable (even if you believe the global warming theory – and it IS a theory – there isn’t 100% proof either way right now), he still lives in a monstrous house by any average standard. As for global warming itself, I’m an engineer – I need proof/data, that shows beyond a reasonable doubt that the climate changes we are seeing now are *directly* related to any perceived global warming. The problem is that no one has been able to produce such data, and there are plenty of other, independent, non-partisan, sources that can provide data as a counterpoint. I am willing to concede we could do a better job of taking care of the planet/environment, I just find it annoying as hell that the guy whose company owns the largest # of ‘carbon credits’ is being lauded as a hero.

If he were TRULY going to put his money/lifestyle where his mouth is, he’d have skipped the Nobel Prize ceremony to save on the ‘carbon footprint’ of his plane, and accepted remotely. But given his status as a big fat hypocrite, there was no chance that would happen. Oh, and his Secret Service folks need to start driving around in hybrid or electric vehicles, if he really wants to put his money where his mouth is.

Eugenia wrote on December 17th, 2007 at 6:23 PM PST:

Guy, right now there are more data and scientists supporting the global warming threat, than the opposite. Saying that it’s a hoax, it is stupid. And even if humans are not the cause, undeniably our planet gets hotter, in which case something needs to be done *anyway*.

As for Gore, I don’t care if he’s the real deal or not. Although I believe he is. He did the changes required to make his home more energy-friendly. As for traveling around the world, well, this is what it takes to take the word out. It’s like saying that you prefer to compile your mobile OS on a Celeron-MP rather than a Xeon just because the Celeron requires less power. Yes, it requires less power, but it requires more time to complete the compilation too. Each to each own, Guy.

Yakir wrote on December 18th, 2007 at 10:13 AM PST:

He already did run, and was elected president. Unfortunately, a right-wing coup prevented him from taking office, and the coup leaders are known as our current “administration.”

Guy Martin wrote on December 18th, 2007 at 1:38 PM PST:

Eugenia,

‘More’ data != more *convincing* data. BTW – I never said it was a ‘hoax’, but a ‘theory’. There are some serious flaws I see in the scientific method that’s been taken here, and the left-wing insistence that we are all going down the crapper tomorrow. I prefer a more moderate stance between the right and the left on this particular issue, and will withhold judgment until there is substantially more provable research (one way or the other).

As for Gore’s traveling around the world increasing his carbon footprint, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. πŸ™‚ I’d have a heck of a lot more respect for him if he did more on an ongoing basis than ‘pimp out’ his house because he was found out and revealed as a huge energy hog and hypocrite.

Guy Martin wrote on December 18th, 2007 at 1:46 PM PST:

BTW – note that I used to drive a GM EV1, one of the most environmentally friendly cars ever produced. However, our ‘friends’ at GM decided they would rather take mine (and the 300 they were forced to produce in CA) and crush them, rather than let me buy it at the end of the lease. Ironically, and irritatingly, they are now pushing electric vehicles again, after scrapping most of the tooling/research for the EV1. Bastards.

So, I do believe we need to take care of the planet, and unlike Al, I actually put my money where my mouth was without having to be ‘outed’ as an energy hog before I changed my lifestyle. πŸ™‚