Random stuff

* Sandisk filed a huge lawsuit yesterday against 25 companies regarding storage patents. Funny how determined they look about it, while themselves are refusing to pay up for the mp3 licensing. Dunno, it just doesn’t feel right.

* JBQ is in Utah for vacations with his brother, comes back soon. I hope he has re-energized his batteries, as he much needed this time off. A new chapter in his life will start soon — I will blog about it when that time comes.

* I am thinking of getting a personal trainer. I am fat and unhealthy, but the worst part is that I don’t want to do much about it. I always needed someone with a whip to make me move my ass. Since JBQ is not big on exercise either, and he loves me so much that he prefers to buy me chocolates rather than lock me up in the toilet without food, well, I need a trainer.

* I sorted out my indie collection on iTunes. 9 GBs of music overall, with artwork all in place. I have it separated from music coming from the majors. I know that this doesn’t make sense, but sometimes I just want to feel “purer”, and this is just one thing that does it for me.

* I started a few weeks back, and now it’s a habit: I sleep without a pillow. In fact, I can’t sleep with a pillow anymore! Weird, I know!

* “Bionic Woman” sucks. There.

Thom Holwerda wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 2:33 AM PST:

A personal trainer? Jesus. That’s…. Wrong. And fcuking expensive at that.

If you want to lose wait, exercise for crying out loud. I lost 5kg in a few weeks simply by using my bike more often instead of my car! I didn’t change my eating habits or nothing.

Bob wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 2:55 AM PST:

If a trainer helps you getting started with exercise, go for it I’d say. For many people it makes a big difference whether they pay for anything (rather than just going out for a run), it’s a subconscious motivation. Also, once you have a habit of doing exercise you may grow to like it and not require a trainer any more. Getting started is always the hardest part.

Thom Holwerda wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 2:56 AM PST:

Lose wait? Weight, of course.

Lovely phonology-induced typing error there.

mikesum32 wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 4:44 AM PST:

@Thom

Homophowned !

* JBQ is in Utah for vacations with his brother

mikesum32 wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 4:45 AM PST:

Is he becoming a Mormon ?

Eugenia wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 12:07 PM PST:

JBQ is agnostic/atheist, like I am. He’s there for the scenery.

Thom, I explained why I need someone with a whip. I’ll never start by myself.

Andy wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 3:24 PM PST:

Dump your TV and get decent running shoes and a bicycle (NOT a hometrainer, they are stupid machines). Instead of watching endless tv-epidsode/DVD-Collections move your ass out of the house.
The hardest part is starting this habit, after that it’s quite easy. Enjoy the adrenaline, it’s a nice legal drug.

Also i have to agree, that changing eating habits is not effective compared to doing some sports. Doing sports on a regular basis changes your metabolism and other body-systems. Your eating habits will adjust just fine. Don’t worry!

Eugenia wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 3:29 PM PST:

I don’t watch as much TV as you think I do. And I don’t know how to bike, I never learned, so that’s out of the window too. 🙂

Andy wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 3:33 PM PST:

Hey, then now it’s the time to start learning cycling. I can only recommend it 😀

Richard wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 4:07 PM PST:

What about getting a friend to be your workout-partner?

Eugenia wrote on October 25th, 2007 at 4:11 PM PST:

All of our friends are software engineers, and almost none of them are big on moving their butts off the computer. 🙂
Besides, I don’t see friends very often. I am a lone wolf.

Dimitar Uzunov wrote on October 26th, 2007 at 6:48 AM PST:

I agree completely – there is need to be pushed for optimum results – when I swim alone I cannot make more than 10 laps – its borring. But when I swim with a trainer and even better with some competition – I can make 20, 30, 40.. its a big difference. Another idea (and cheaper) is to join some exersize or sports club – learn the ropes and try to outperform the others. And if you feel comfortable and acquire some good habits you can start doing it alone and fire the guy/gal.
@Bob – I agree completelly
@Andy – Can you share some tip here? I also don’t know how to ride a bike.

Andy wrote on October 26th, 2007 at 2:12 PM PST:

Err, friends, really i don’t know what kind of tip i could give you. I learned cycling from my dad when i was a little child. After that I never thinked about WHAT is the actual knowledge of cycling.
Also i don’t know if there is some kind of cycling-school. Best solution is propably grab a cycling friend and ask for some lessons on a empty spot like a parking lot on sunday, park or other. Really, it’s not that hard. Most important is a feel for balance. If speed increases balancing is a cake, the spinning wheels stabilize the cycle.

You have any cycling friend/colleague/co-worker/etc. ? Ask them for a lesson.

Eugenia wrote on October 26th, 2007 at 2:23 PM PST:

I have no one that will teach me. JBQ doesn’t want to do it, he already told me so when I asked him years ago, and a few months back too.

Dimitar Uzunov wrote on October 27th, 2007 at 7:50 AM PST:

“When getting on the cycle you’re becoming an extension of the bike. Your body and the cycle are getting one.” – Andy

Thanks for the reply, Andy. I thought that the above quote was kinda cool so I put in the post 🙂

I once tried to learn to cycle with an old “Balkan” bike in the village of my grandparents – half the mahala tried helping me – and I learned nothing 🙂 I fell a dosen times and quit.
Well we have a proverb in bulgarian: “Many grannies raise feeble child” (“Много баби отглеждат хилаво дете”) which is equivalent to “too many cooks spoil the broth” 🙂

Andy wrote on October 27th, 2007 at 3:51 PM PST:

Huh, this seems like a tough task. Perhaps there ARE cycling-schools/courses/teachers. Maybe look into the net or your local telephone-book.
It makes me kinda sad when people don’t cycle because they’ve never learned it properly. Because once you know how to do it it’s great. Exercise and useful vehicle at the same time. No pullution, fresh air. Great.

Huh, yeah, I’m too fat too these days, cycling can’t do wonders but helps. 🙂 Because besides cycling i do zero sports. Jogging from time to time, but i’m a lazy ass.

Andy wrote on October 27th, 2007 at 3:53 PM PST:

Hey Dimitar, once i read my quote i think the opposite is even better and more true. Because you should control the bike.
“When getting on the cycle it becomes an extension of your body. Your body and the cycle are getting one.”

Andy wrote on October 27th, 2007 at 3:59 PM PST:

Andy wrote on October 27th, 2007 at 4:01 PM PST:

Eugenia: JBQ is capable of cycling? And he don’t want to teach you the basics? Errr…

Eugenia wrote on October 27th, 2007 at 4:05 PM PST:

Yes, he can cycle. He claims that he can’t teach me or help me out.

chema wrote on October 27th, 2007 at 7:13 PM PST:

he probably doesn’t want to be the reason you fall off one :), i started jogging a year ago then lost interest, now I’m thinking of going out to run again, as a kid i used to run a lot… just the memories of the feeling makes me want to go out, then the memories of the recent outings makes my knees cry lol

Gotta love endorphins/adrenaline or whatever it was 🙂

Andy wrote on October 28th, 2007 at 7:48 AM PST:

Hm, here is the ultimate solution in avoiding to fall off a cycle: Use a trike. 🙂 There are some extremely cool vehicles. Some examples…

for more info you may check: http://www.bentrideronline.com/