Shopping bags

In most European countries, customers of grocery stores are encouraged, if not required, to put their groceries on bags instead of having the employees of the store do it for them. In USA (or just in California?), this is not so. Customers just sit around like cows, and the employees both parse the items in the scanner and fill up the shopping bags. I mean, sure, if they don’t have much work you can let them do it all, but if you can see a fucking queue of 2 kilometers on the back, why not help out with your own bagging?

I always take care of my own groceries with bagging at Safeway or Trader Joe’s btw. It’s just stupid to not to. “This is their job, let them do it” excuse does not make sense to me in this case. Why not help out? Not only you help the employee, but also you help your co-shoppers and you help yourself too by finishing up faster.

Today at Trader Joe’s there was this young woman ahead of us. Instead of doing some bagging to help the running-like-crazy employee, she instead opened her purse, took out her lipstick, and she passed it over her fucking lips. What a waste of human flesh.

deanlinkous wrote on October 13th, 2007 at 8:15 PM PST:

People want to bitch about the shitty job someone did bagging their groceries – they cant do that if they bag their own. Just another example of humans bitching about something they could avoid or alleviate, while having no intention of doing so. 😉

Tuishimi wrote on October 13th, 2007 at 8:34 PM PST:

Heh. Whenever I can I bag… but in some stores they have arranged the equipment so you cannot reach around the credit card slider, signature table and register output… so only the cashier can get to the stuff. It’s a pain.

Give me back those old fashioned, wide opened, belt driven conveyors where you can see the cashier and your food and help out if necessary. Also, paper bags should be the default. 🙂

Troy Banther wrote on October 13th, 2007 at 8:50 PM PST:

Not all people are like that. I work hard, personally, not to be ugly and I hope my children pick up on that. We don’t have many cloth bags in this area of New Mexico but you do see them in Albuquerque and its mandatory in Santa Fe for most businesses. They have strict zoning laws there to keep the modern in the style of the original and the pace is much slower in the Old Town areas.

I despize the check yourself out lanes and prefer a human being to interact with. I rememer going into a K-mart in Texas that was pure self check out. I though to myself. Greedy bastards fired all the humans to save a dime. I’ve never shopped there again when in Texas.

Kaiwai wrote on October 13th, 2007 at 9:56 PM PST:

In New Zealand they don’t bag anything unless you go to a ‘full service’ supermarket such as Woolworths or New World – the big names such as Pak ‘n Save leave it up to the customer to pack their groceries. Less employee’s mean lower costs which means lower prices.

Jess Sightler wrote on October 13th, 2007 at 10:01 PM PST:

The wal-marts around here all pretty much require the load the cart you yourself view.

Personally, I take the opposite view. I just waited in line for entirely too long, and you won’t even bother to throw a bag of stuff that I just paid for into my cart?

Its just wal-mart trying to save a few cents.

Thom Holwerda wrote on October 14th, 2007 at 2:58 AM PST:

No supermarket here packs your bags. I wouldn’t want them too either.

On top of that, Dutch people tend to use either their own plastic foldable crates, or cardboard boxes that the supermarket saves up from their incoming goods.

MVale wrote on October 14th, 2007 at 3:41 AM PST:

Hi an Country where Girls can’t show her boobs, but every kid can have a Gun…whant do you want ? America is a Crazy country…

dizzey wrote on October 14th, 2007 at 4:38 AM PST:

Here in sweden larger shops made another system to make it go faster. you get a barcode reader so you pack while shopping.
the you hand over the reader to the chassier pay and go home.

Matteo wrote on October 14th, 2007 at 5:01 AM PST:

No supermarket in Italy packs your bags either. The cashier parse the items in the scanner and you put them in the bag. I couldn’t do nothing staring at the working-hard-cashier.

Ivan wrote on October 14th, 2007 at 5:43 AM PST:

In Belgium, there’s no bagging, and no bags… To reduce garbage, supermarket MUST charge for a bag in order to encourage people to use crates or bring their own bag.

Here it is often the opposite. While I’m filling my crate, the cashier is checking her make-up or polishing her nailes, even if a long row of people is wating. Sometimes I slow down deliberately in a vain hope she will help me, but she won’, of course, as it is not in her job description!
In one chain, Colruyt, they move the goods from one cart to another, and if you have crates, they will put them in. Colruyt doesn’t have bags at all.

Gern wrote on October 14th, 2007 at 6:04 AM PST:

My experience at grocery store, both in North American and in Europe is that the lines more often move faster when the cashier packs the bags than when the shopper packs the bags.

The worst and slowest is the stores where the shopper packs the bags and has a tiny little spot to do so, often no larger than the average sized laptop computer. The shopper is expected to fill the bags in this space. Meanwhile, the braindead cashier with abolutely no customer service skill is shoving more and more purchased groceries into the space, inevitably pushing the first items off the counter and onto the floor, then skowling at the shopper for not filling the bags fast enough. Then the shopper has to pick the items off the floor and stuff them into bags while the cashhier is now shoving the next shoppers items into the same tiny space.

I will take cashier filling bags over that every time.

On the other hand, I have been to grocery stores in North America and in Europe where the shopper has lots of space to bag their own groceries. This is the ideal for me.

Troy Banther wrote on October 14th, 2007 at 6:49 AM PST:

So. By reading this. I can assume. Shopping sucks everywhere?