New drug

My doctor put me on a new (expensive) kind of a drug this week. This is my last chance of getting healthy. If this drug doesn’t work either, I am done trying to fight my painful peptic health problem (scientists still have no clue what it exactly is, although there are theories). This is my last chance, as we are running out of medical options. If it won’t work either, I think it takes having children out of the equation.

Kai wrote on September 24th, 2007 at 6:53 PM PST:

hi, i just wanted to comment on the idea that you “cant” get better, cuz even though it may take a while, and some work, i know you can – a good way to see what im talking about would be to watch the movie “the secret” and pay close attention to the section on health. cuz in truth, your body is like the sky, always perfect and clear, but sometimes clouds (disease) block this truth from us, and we can forget that we are perfectly healthy. if this completely goes against your beliefs, im sorry but its what i believe and when i see someone in pain i want them to know the truth, as i know it. if you have a comment or question please email me – you can get better!

Eugenia wrote on September 24th, 2007 at 7:00 PM PST:

Kai, I talked about “The Secret” here. It’s bullshit. Please don’t suggest such 12th Century superstitions to me. It degrades me.

Despite this, thank you for your concern anyway.

mikesum32 wrote on September 24th, 2007 at 7:03 PM PST:

So you have an ulcer ? Have you tried antibiotics ?

Eugenia wrote on September 24th, 2007 at 7:05 PM PST:

No, I don’t have an ulcer. But yes, I am getting antibiotics atm, some expensive ones.

Loic wrote on September 25th, 2007 at 1:15 AM PST:

There’s nothing more annoying than pain because it spoils everything in your life.
Reading your post I was thinking about Dr House. (The new season is beginning tonight in the US I think).
I wonder if that kind of doctor exits in the real life. Diagnosing a disease is speciality of its own. Some doctors are very good at curing but can lose lots of time finding what’s wrong.
It’s the same in computers. You must know some geeks that spot a problem in a blink of an eye when another very talented user will search a solution for hours.
Furthermore Dr House is helped by doctors of different specialities. I think it’s necessary. If you ask a heart doctor, he will think of a cardiac disease and so on.
Have you had the chance to use that kind of methodology to find your disease?
I’m afraid it only exists on TV.
Good luck.

l3v1 wrote on September 25th, 2007 at 2:13 AM PST:

Doctors… medicine… well, f*ck’em.

Fortunately, I don’t have any sickness or illness to be treated. But, especially recently, I’ve had many friends and relatives becoming sick, operated, needing medication and/or treatment, etc. What most of them say – one friend of mine even had a deep talk with one of they young residents while he was in the hospital that more or less confirmed this – is that most of the time the doctors just don’t really have a clue what they are dealing with, exception being the most obvious cases. They just see a sick patient, and if they have some experience, they just might be able to suggest some medication that can help. If it doesn’t help, they just change the medication, and keep playing with the patients, and if they are lucky, one of the trials will be successful.

Yes, I have a deep distrust towards doctors, and I hope all my relatives and friends will be better without aftereffects from wrong medication, wrong dosage, mistreated diseases, f*cked up operations – e.g. one of my close relatives [in the US] just had an operation that went well, but they caused some collateral damage which will need a _long_ time to get better, if ever.

Being sick just sucks. I hope you’ll get better. Being sick is not something I’d wish not even for my “enemies”, if I ever will have one 🙂

td0 wrote on September 25th, 2007 at 6:46 AM PST:

Hopefully you recover soon.

Christine wrote on September 25th, 2007 at 7:39 AM PST:

Hi –

I’m not sure what your issue is, but have you tried taking really good quality probiotics? Perhaps you have already been to a naturopath or tried a nutritional approach. Regardless, if you are taking antibiotics, your doctor should also be recommending good probiotics to counter the antibiotic. You’ve probably already been doing this but just thought I’d suggest it just in case!

I too, believe you can get better. Something is just out of balance and once the root caouse is found you can recover. The problem is often doctors treat symptoms rather than the root cause.

best,
Christine

moleskine wrote on September 25th, 2007 at 7:58 AM PST:

Have you tried a really radical change of diet, like leaving out all dairy, or all cereals/breads or all meat, etc.? I have one of those problems the health industry likes to label “chronic” with a shoulder-shrug but a different diet has certainly helped.

Luis wrote on September 25th, 2007 at 11:12 AM PST:

The other day I said that it’s ok that science is still in its infancy because it takes time to learn, but when it comes to medical science it’s a shit because you do need it now. You can’t wait 500 years to have a decent answer…

Anyway, moleskine suggested something really useful. I obviously have no idea about your problem, but diet has a very important role in our health, and even if your problem it’s not directly related to diet, having the right diet for you can help anyway.

I once pointed you to a book that has a good approach to diet. Even if the fact that it’s based of blood type doesn’t appeal you much, I’d insist that you take a look at it. It does have the basics right, and that’s good enough. It’s called “Eat right for your type”, easy to find in Amazon.

I hope you get better soon!

algi wrote on September 26th, 2007 at 2:03 PM PST:

I wish you this new drug will finally get you better, finger crossed!