My appearance

Thom is hosting an interesting topic on his blog, about cosmetic surgery and photoshopping covers of magazines. He fears that photoshopping magazines creates insecurity to some women. And this is my blunt reply, copied here:

“I agree that there should be a fine print somewhere explaining that some photoshoping has taken place. But other than that, I believe that consumers do want it, even if they won’t admit it or realize it. Proof is that providers had to do that in order to sell more.

As for having women feeling insecure just because another woman looks better than them, well let them feel insecure, and hopefully die out of insecurity, so their stupid genes don’t survive in the human gene pool. Let Darwin work his magic baby.

I am very short, I am fat, I have an ugly tooth (it’s out of alignment, and if you see me smiling from a specific angle, it looks like I have no tooth there at all). And guess what: I don’t give a f*ck, neither I try to hide it by not smiling. It didn’t stop me from finding and getting married to a much prettier person than I am too. I have zero complex about my appearance, neither I try my best to look good. And all has worked out just fine, so why feel insecure?”

Update: Me and my ugly tooth. 😀

a pic through the mirror

tOnGAs wrote on September 7th, 2007 at 3:38 AM PST:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Imran wrote on September 7th, 2007 at 6:33 AM PST:

Your tooth is like my fiancées :), and yes don’t care the sh^t what others say, good outlook and attitude.

michael reed wrote on September 7th, 2007 at 2:15 PM PST:

It’s interesting to watch the transition from S1 to S2 of Lost. As with most US series television, non of the men had a “normal” body type to begin with. Obviously, for the start of series 2, many of the male actors had realised that they would spend a lot of their time bare chested, and subsequently, hit the gym!

After 40 days on the island, their bodies might have changed to some extent and they might have lost some weight and become more toned due to the extra exercise, but I can’t see any plot reason why they would suddenly look like body builders and athletes.

Why not have some men with normal, typical body types on US series television? Whether the male character is a doctor or a plumber, he usually has a six pack and an all over tan when takes his shirt off.

I often make people laugh by saying that, particularly when I was younger, I felt very disadvantaged when dealing with members of the opposite sex because I am a man with a small chest. I’ve started to fill out a bit now, but an alien, having just landed on planet earth, would look at me and then look at the cast of Lost and presume that there must be three separate genders of human being.

Pamela Anderson/Arnold Schwarzenegger – what’s the difference?

I love the way that people are sensitive to the perpetuation of a “beauty myth” in order to sell products but yet, they are ingorant of “victim myth” to sell a load of other products (magazines, books, tv shows).

As for your tooth, it doesn’t look at that noticeable to me. In all fairness, I think that American culture is obsessed with dental perfection, particularly in children. Over here, in the UK, the emphasis is more on functionality and health. I do seem to remember knowing one kid who had braces on her teeth but that was very unusual.

Maybe living in California has made you a bit more aware of it?

Eugenia wrote on September 7th, 2007 at 2:17 PM PST:

Erm, not at all. As I wrote in my blog post, I feel just like I always did about it: I don’t care about my tooth, or my height. I care about my weight for health reasons, but that’s about it.

mikesum32 wrote on September 7th, 2007 at 4:04 PM PST:

Someone was saying you let yourself go or some other such stuff like you were somewhat dumpy.

Honesty I don’t see those things. Maybe that’s just me, but I don’t care what you look like, I see a mind.

Phil wrote on September 7th, 2007 at 8:29 PM PST:

I always get the impression, on various discussion boards, that US citizens are much more obsessed with appearance than people in the UK. Having been exposed to their TV I’m bound to say that they are being given unrealistic expectations (read brainwashed) of what a normal person should look like. Vanity/beauty is a kind of sickness in society and especially the media.

Michael wrote on September 15th, 2007 at 2:35 PM PST:

Your tooth IS ugly. You could have fixed it when you were 14 or so. Were you lazy? Or did your parents simply not care?

BTW, if you are still young, you can fix it and have your insurance paid for it. I fixed my teeth when I was almost 30 and I had to shell out $2500 for upper teeth only. Full mouth job was about $5500. I still don’t smile with my teeth showing, I keep my lips tight.

Eugenia wrote on September 15th, 2007 at 2:46 PM PST:

>Your tooth IS ugly.

And yet I am married to a prettier person than I am.

>Were you lazy? Or did your parents simply not care?

Hey smart ass (who chickens out to even write down an email address). I am from Greece. When I was 14, not only my family had NO money, but the only solution that was suggested to me to was to REMOVE that tooth COMPLETELY (instead of fixing it). And I declined, because that is one of the healthier teeth that I had/have. I won’t take out a healthy tooth just to look “prettier” (in this case I wouldn’t even be prettier).

>I still don’t smile with my teeth showing, I keep my lips tight.

You really have problems man. Get your insurance to pay for your therapy too.

I simply don’t care about it. It doesn’t get in the way of my everyday life, and believe it or not, it doesn’t get in the way when I give a blow job to my husband.