X-Files the movie will fail

Apparently the second X-Files movie will be a normal “monster of the week” movie and won’t be about the popular alien mythology. This will be the movie’s demise. The majority of viewers never cared much about the regular episodes on X-Files. In fact, only when the mytharc matured the ratings of the show went high-up. I proposed some script ideas a few months ago.

Deep inside I know why Chris Carter insists for years now that the script of the would-be movie won’t be about the mytharc: that’s because he never liked the mytharc. His idea of X-Files was single horror episodes with no major background story. Only when he had a few seemingly inter-connected episodes and the ratings got up, he literally got forced by the network to follow up on the alien subplot. There was never an original plan to have a mytharc and himself was never a big fan of it according to sources. And so Carter sees that second movie as his chance to create an X-files movie the way he always wanted it to.

Problem is, nobody gives a rat’s ass what Carter wants.

Eugenia wrote on July 18th, 2007 at 5:12 AM PST:

Steve uk: Go make a doodoo. While we might not agree, you have no right to tell me I am stupid. As a viewer of the series, I can be the critic as much as I can be the fan. The point is: MOST people watched X-Files BECAUSE of the alien subplot. You like it or not, THIS WILL BE a negative point for the X-Files movie. Just because you might be a fanatic of the series, the rest 90% aren’t. X-Files took off only after the alien subplot was given more episodes and depth. Viewers WANT continuity, because that’s what makes a series feel REAL.

So, get a clue.

Imran wrote on July 18th, 2007 at 6:20 AM PST:

Yes i agree with Eugenia that X-files really took off for me that is after that alien plot.

Tom Dison wrote on July 18th, 2007 at 6:23 AM PST:

This is a common theme – artists and producers not understanding what made something great. For example:

L.A. Law – this show started as a great legal show. The legal cases were very interesting and well done. Later, the producers (or whoever) thought it was the characters and their personal intereactions that people wanted. It wasn’t.

Matrix – the creators apparently thought it was the special effects (the matrix bullet-dodge, etc) that made the movie great. Actually it was the sci-fi story. The 2nd and third episodes were duds in my book because of not understanding this.

On the other hand, I can think of an example of the opposite:

Law and Order – this show has a simple format – the crime, solving it, prosecuting. As lng as this simple theme is followed, the show succeeds. It offers just enough character depth to provide a real backdrop, but they are smart enough to know we do not want a soap opera with bullets.

Andrew wrote on July 18th, 2007 at 7:38 AM PST:

That’s pretty sad. I’m going through the series again and while the monster episodes are OK I’m always waiting to hit an arc episode.

steve uk wrote on July 18th, 2007 at 11:06 AM PST:

What a shame we still read the negative comments like this (fortunatley they are far & few between)the majority of people i know were big fans of the x-files & still are to this day, but then the show was primarily aimed at the more interlectual rather than the would be critic who can only critisise other peoples work because they themselves could never achieve that level of entrtainment, thank god the intelligent outweigh the stupid.

l3v1 wrote on July 18th, 2007 at 12:18 PM PST:

Just one thing I have against your feelings about this future movie: just because you don’t like certain parts of a series, and just because there are people who like one or the other part of a series, that does not in any way by itself mean that a movie not based on a previously more popular sub-theme would be a total failure. Either aliens or not, I’m looking forward to it, and all I can say about it is: we’ll see.

William Eggington wrote on July 19th, 2007 at 12:25 PM PST:

The Star Trek series sat on their “simple format” for too long. It was almost odd how stale it became. Even when they tried to have a story ark it would always revolve around such typical “ratings show that this works” themes that it just bored me to death. “OOooo here we go again. . . back in time. . . on earth.” Zzzzz.

X-Files had me. . . then lost me for the same reason. The story just kept floundering around getting nowhere.

The new shows like Lost and Battlestar have learned from others mistakes and have struck a really good balance between episodes being fun to watch from beginning to end but then continue a story ark.

Hard to believe the X-Files creators haven’t realised this. :-/

elmindreda wrote on July 19th, 2007 at 12:58 PM PST:

Well, no, but I agree with him; the standalone episodes are best imo.

Optimus wrote on July 27th, 2007 at 8:10 AM PST:

Luckily enough I like some of the paranormal episodes in the past, so it won’t be much of a dissapointment for me. At least if they can manage to pull out some interesting scenario as deep and mysterious as the alien/conspiracy theme can be.