God damn it, I HATE software

Software does not work. End of story. Software is the only thing that you can never trust. And when I talk about software, I mean ALL consumer software. I don’t know about nuclear reactor software, but whatever is sold for under $20,000 there is 99% chance of being a piece of shit.

Applications crash all too often, they have a GAZILLION bugs each, and to me, it is a major surprise how we are able to do our daily work with computers without getting all crazy and head for the caves.

Yes, I could go on and explain what I mean in this rant, and give examples of what has happened to me in the last week trying to do my work (on several OSes btw), but what’s the point? Even if I name all these apps that contributed to my mental state right now (over 25 apps that crashed or had bugs in them), nothing will change anyway.

So, I will just state how I feel and leave it at that: Software sucks. I will never go back to working with computers.

Tom Dison wrote on June 15th, 2007 at 11:08 AM PST:

I write software for a living and I agree with you 100%. If people allowed their houses to be built with the same level of quality that most software is written, there would be a hole lot of houses collapsing and catching on fire every day. In my experience, the level of quality is worse in commercial software (coding standards, exception handling, etc), but the problem in the Free Software world is lack of anyone controlling the process. Feature X never arrives (or is only barely implemented) because no developer felt like it or had enough incentive to do it. The net result is bad software everywhere!

tOnGAs wrote on June 16th, 2007 at 1:03 AM PST:

I can understand how you feel. I just spent two days at work *fighting* with the buggy Print software we have to use (WYSI-NOT-WYG problems). I ended up totally exhausted and a little depressed.

jeroen wrote on June 16th, 2007 at 7:05 AM PST:

OOP is the root of evil

chris wrote on June 16th, 2007 at 7:31 AM PST:

software is cool!!! just check this.

Richard wrote on June 16th, 2007 at 8:24 AM PST:

You’re so right, and this is actually one of the reasons why I write my own software. While it is still buggy as hell ;-) It has it least a number of advantages, A: I know who’s to blame when it crashes. B: I can fix it if I need a specific feature. :-)

Cogs can think. wrote on June 16th, 2007 at 9:15 AM PST:

This fetish with standardising on “cancel”

Just as I was discussing the merits of using the CLI to copy over large bunches of files in #haiku, this happened, while copying my photo library to my server using the Finder:
[10:03pm] Thom_Holwerda: what the hell just happened.
[10:03pm] Thom_Holw…

Eugenia wrote on June 16th, 2007 at 12:27 PM PST:

>Note that sw is getting very complex

I know why there are bugs. But what you say is like saying that the reason why Africa is so poor is because of these and these reasons — reasons that make lots of sense of course. But all that do not mean that I like the situation or that I endorse it. I hate it.

phoenixbf wrote on June 16th, 2007 at 12:23 PM PST:

I think it’s quite normal that sw has bugs.

Note that sw is getting very complex, think of libs, GUI, other pieces of sw loaded on demand and relations that occurs at run-time when you launch a single app.

Another reason is CS evolving speed: if we could freeze for a moment KDE 3.5.7 and constantly work on it for about 5 years without adding further features, probably all (99.9%) bugs would be fixed, having the most stable DE ever created.

But CS have to run.
Bugs get fixed (we hope) :-P

Optimus wrote on June 20th, 2007 at 5:20 AM PST:

Software sucks indeed! I should quit programming and become a gardener instead :P