Jobs vs. Gates: Who’s the Star?

“Until recently, Bill Gates has been viewed as the villain of the tech world, while his archrival, Steve Jobs, enjoys an almost saintly reputation. […] But these perceptions are wrong. In fact, the reality is reversed. It’s Gates who’s making a dent in the universe, and Jobs who’s taking on the role of single-minded capitalist, seemingly oblivious to the broader needs of society.”

This is not a surprise for me. I always considered Gates the true geek and Jobs a weasel. Heck, not even Woz could trust him.

Dimitar Uzunov wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 1:17 AM PST:

According to “Apple confidential” by Owen W. Linzmayer , Jobs is a guy who will tell you “That will never work!” when hearing your idea, and when it does he’ll claim that it was his idea. And I also wouldn’t trust him if I was in the place of Woz. But I don’t think of Bill Gates as a saint. By the way he seems to have a similar relationship with the co-founder of his company.

Eugenia wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 6:41 AM PST:

I guess we can argue about this all day. Thing is, I have met both men, and my female spidey power says that Gates is a better person. ;)

mikesum32 wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 7:46 AM PST:

How is Jobs a weasel ? I think you’re wrong about Woz. Everyone has times when they don’t trust their friends. Microsoft is the one using illegal tactics to drive away competitors.

ksmc wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 1:18 AM PST:

How quickly we forget.

mikesum32 wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 8:29 AM PST:

Then why didn’t Microsoft come up with the iPod, and why did they rip off Apple’s Mac ? In just about every way Microsoft is a “me too” company, always playing catch-up.

mikesum32 wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 8:46 AM PST:

It’s not just about money either, yes I read the article. I think Steve Jobs and Apple have the most cultural influence. They make the computers that make movies, and make culture. Not to mention Apple, Xerox, and Adobe(founders left Xerox) made desktop publishing. Apple made the computer, Xerox made the printer, and Adobe made the fonts.

Now Jobs is the largest shareholder of Disney. Yes Bill has money, but it remains to be seen what it will do for the world.

stormrider wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 3:46 AM PST:

There is a whole campaign from the side of Apple to promote Steve Jobs as the “rock star of computers”. Have you seen “Pirates of Silicon Valley”? GOD!!! Steve Jobs appears to be a hippie/rebel/visionary and Gates the spoiled rich-kid super-geek.

I agree that Gates is the true visionary.

Eugenia wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 7:52 AM PST:

Jobs is not an angel (I’ve heard horror stories here in the Valley), he has built a nice religion around him and Apple, but Gates is much more technology oriented and truthful in my opinion. As for MS illegal tactics, don’t put it everything on Gates.

Eugenia wrote on June 1st, 2007 at 8:35 AM PST:

Because it’s not always about technology. Did you read the article?

mikesum32 wrote on June 2nd, 2007 at 2:06 AM PST:

He’s still a thief. Xerox got a bunch of shares from Apple, while Apple got the shaft from Microsoft.