Height

On some forums people are making fun of Ryan Seacrest’s “petite” nature. The guy is 1.73m. Is that really “petite”, even for a man though? I mean, at least for Mediterranean people, his height is just normal. What really pisses me off though is that Ryan himself tries to downplay his height by making jokes about it on the show. You see, the best way to not get completely hammered is to make fun about it. I think he is overreacting.

If there’s someone who’s petite, that’s me: 1.52m. Never grew a centimeter from the moment my period came when I was 11. I was the tallest person in class at the time. And then, that was it for me although there is a good reason why. I was born during the 8th month of the pregnancy, I was very small (1700 grams) and with few hopes to live. The doctor requested that for at least a year my parents should feed me a very special and expensive milk that was full in hormones. This drove my family almost broke back in 1973 because each of these cans was just too expensive. They had to switch to a cheaper one, although the doctor did warn them that the quality of that other product was seriously questionable. These “milks” made me grow very fast later in life too, even if I was only fed with them for a year. I had breasts like a cow when I was 10 already. And my period came long before than any of my cousins. And today, 33 years later, my hormones are still out of whack all too often.

But hey, I don’t mind my small build, I don’t mind my ugly tooth or my far and between hairline. I feel good and comfortable about myself so I won’t hide neither fact. And I am really happy that my JBQ loves me the way I am too.

Stefan wrote on March 21st, 2007 at 2:55 AM PST:

1.73m is somewhat small for American standards. American males are “larger” that Europeans ;) I don’t necessary mean fat but “massive” in general. I went to London and men did not look at all like the guys I see every day on New Jersey transit ;)

memson wrote on March 21st, 2007 at 3:23 AM PST:

Mertic:

Well, UK uses metric now, but old habbits die hard. We buy most produce in Kg’s now, it’s actually illegal to sell prepacked goods in Imperial (as it’s called, though possibly not in the states) and loose stuff (like fruit and veg) I think has to be in metric too now except for small traders on markets (tho may have changed.)

Lbs are “pounds”. In the UK we measure weight (colloquially) in pounds still, but we tend to use stones too, there are 14 pounds in a stone IIRC, so when an American says 300lbs, we’re as lost as you are. We have a phrase “9 stone weakling” which is used to describe a weady man. 9 stone being 126 lbs (so you get the gist.)

We still drink “Pints” in the Pub, but we tend to buy “litres” of Milk (though colloquially refer to them as Pints.)

We measure distance in Miles.

And just to completely confuse you all, US weights and Measures are not exactly the same as UK ones. Some US measures are slightly different, A US pint is smaller, for example.

Thom Holwerda wrote on March 21st, 2007 at 7:44 AM PST:

The Dutch are the tallest “race” (races don’t exist in humans, genetically speaking) in the world. I am roughly 1.78 and I am considered *very* small. Many of my friends are all 2.00+.

Edwin wrote on March 21st, 2007 at 7:50 AM PST:

My gf is smaller than you are and she’s perfect to me. Nothing wrong with being short, tall, average, etc…

Eugenia wrote on March 21st, 2007 at 8:05 AM PST:

You are freaks of nature Thom. :D
BTW, I thought that the Croatians or the Kenyans are the tallest.

mikesum32 wrote on March 21st, 2007 at 8:33 AM PST:

Yes, and we Americans drive on the wrong side of the road and talk funny too ! But we don’t say “Al-Qaeder,” we say “Al-Qaeda.” :-) We made an agreement with the French during the Revolutionary War they had to help us, and in exchange we say fillet (fil-ay) and herb (’erb). Z (zee) was thrown in there just to mess with you. Well, something like that.

pound=lbs=Libra=the scales

Tom Cruise is the same height as Ryan.

I was about 16 weeks premature, at least that’s what my mother said. I was so shocked I thought that number couldn’t be right. I was 1 pound 10 ounces (737.0876 grams) I’m pretty sure I was fed on breast milk and “formula”. I wasn’t expected to survive. I’m only 5 foot 7 (1.7018 meters) now. My teeth were crooked but thanks to braces, they are straight. Also, I’m prematurely balding and suck at sports.

My brother was 14 ounces (396.89 grams) He seemed to doing fine despite it. Until he was 9 and started passing out, we had no idea anything was wrong up until that point in time. He had something called primary pulmonary hypertension. It was like some kind of mystery disease. He went in to surgery for some kind of pump to be installed, but he didn’t recover and had to have a heart lung transplant. Needless to say things didn’t end well. I don’t think I will never be whole.

My other (half) brother was born and weighed around 6 pounds or so (2721.55 grams). He’s 6 foot 2 or so now (1.8796 meters) at almost 18.

If we are going to discuss height, I was watching something on tv about nutrition, height, and poverty. Basically, height would tell you about how well a country was doing. Americans used to be much taller than they are now, maybe the tallest, but were overtaken by the Dutch. I wish I could remember the name of it.

peejay wrote on March 21st, 2007 at 11:44 AM PST:

For us dumb Americans, that works out to about 5′8″ for him, and 5′0″ for her, and 3.75lbs at birth. :)

Vassilis 'vasper' Perantzakis wrote on March 21st, 2007 at 12:39 PM PST:

[flame on]Do you expect Non English Europeans to use anything else than the best system… the metric?[/flame off]

Seriously I don’t know how you can understand the system with foot (=33 centimeters), inch (=2.5 centimeters) and lb (Libra ? ) (=454 grams). The trick is multiple of 10.. Easy and universal [flame on](except for England and the colonies) [/flame off]

By the way, I am 1.86m and my girlfriend is 1.73m and all I get from short people is “how is the weather up there…” :-)

Edwin wrote on March 22nd, 2007 at 7:56 AM PST:

I am roughly 1.78 and I am considered *very* small.
Let’s not overexaggerate Thom, I know you like to but still… The average height of the Dutch is 1m83, yer anything but *very* small. I’m smaller than you are and I’m Dutch, what does that make me? A gnome?

Shelley wrote on March 22nd, 2007 at 12:22 PM PST:

Tallness is overrated.

I’m 1.60 m and my husband is 1.70. Anything taller would be too tall for me.

As someone who trains a lot and otherwise knows a lot about health and nutrition, I fail to understand this *need* to be tall. It doesn’t offer any significant physical/general health advantages. In fact, it can actually be disadvantageous at times.

The psychological benefits seem to outweigh everything else, unfortunately.

jayson knight wrote on March 23rd, 2007 at 5:32 AM PST:

Cow breasts and periods…wow, you just never know what to expect whilst perusing Eugenia’s blog!

I’m tall enough that my feet reach the ground, that’s all I care about.

jayson knight wrote on March 23rd, 2007 at 5:34 AM PST:

Thom, you and I are the exact same height btw…avg height for a guy in the US is 1.68 meters.

Eugenia wrote on March 23rd, 2007 at 7:41 AM PST:

>you just never know what to expect whilst perusing Eugenia’s blog!

That’s the point.

Hugo wrote on March 23rd, 2007 at 11:12 AM PST:

Well I’m 1.81 m and I’m Portuguese and i you say that’s about the average height for men around here. I suspect i would be taller if I had all those nice growth hormones from macdonalds beef that americans have.

K wrote on March 24th, 2007 at 2:35 AM PST:

The average height for men in Norway is 1.80m, but I’m 1.78m and most of the people at work are noticably taller than me…