Waaah! I want more sci-fi!

What’s wrong with this decade? Why can’t we have more bam-boom Vvvvvzzzzzz fsioufff-fsioufff zzzaaaaap sci-fi series? I mean, real sci-fi series with spaceships, fighters and major battles as opposed to mystery-style sci-fi like “X-Files” or “Heroes” or even “Lost”.

In the ’90s, we had Babylon 5, DS9, Voyager, Space: Above and Beyond, SG1 and 1-2 more than I can’t remember their titles right now. This decade instead, we only had Battlestar Galactica, ST:Enterprise, Firefly and SG Atlantis (with the last two being less of action and more of blah-blah).

Why isn’t Hollywood producing more space-based sci-fi TV series? And don’t get me started about movies! The last such movies were what? Star Wars and Serenity, 2 whole years ago? I need at least 1-2 such movies each year so I can get my fix!

Moulinneuf wrote on February 3rd, 2007 at 1:06 AM PST:

Special effects cost , profit margins , decision makers choice.

When you have WWE on Sci-fi … that pretty much sums up the choice made for us …

mikesum32 wrote on February 3rd, 2007 at 2:13 AM PST:

All that’s required is for sci-fi is science and fiction.

Heroes still fits the category.

We do have Babylon 5: The Lost Tales to look forward to.

Andrew wrote on February 3rd, 2007 at 2:17 AM PST:

Ugh, I know.

A while ago you posted this and I commented how I was having a hard time getting into DS9. Since that posting I’ve blown through the entire series. Cost me quite a bit of $ & time. Luckily I’m young and can afford both. :)

That series topped even TNG for me. And what do I have now? *nothing*. I wish I would’ve paced myself, hopefully if I had went that route when I finished something good may have been on TV.

Sick puppy, I know.

Tom Dison wrote on February 3rd, 2007 at 3:50 AM PST:

You’re a Heinlein, I’m a Bradbury. You’re a Star Wars, I’m a Star Treak. I prefer the mysterious, thoughtful, figure out the meaning of life Sci-Fi. Otherwise it’s just a western that happens to occur in space.

“Grab your blasters and let’s go head them off at the Black Hole pass.”

Dan Brokeau wrote on February 3rd, 2007 at 5:39 AM PST:

It’s an oldie (off air for a couple years), but how did you like Andromeda?

I like Heroes though, although it’s certainly not scifi.

Oliver Herold wrote on February 3rd, 2007 at 12:33 PM PST:

Couldn’t more agree :D

Flosse wrote on February 3rd, 2007 at 12:54 PM PST:

Oh yea, I wholeheartedly agree, Even though the Stargate SG1 movie in the works at least SEEMS promising. But at least serenity had a couple of nice space fight scenes. And I still think the pilot movie of Battlestar Galactica rocked. But now this is also turning into emotions and blah blah with the occasional Cylon attack.

We need some real action :)

Tom Dison wrote on February 4th, 2007 at 4:38 AM PST:

Well said. I just don’t want to see ideas cast aside for eye candy (the Phantom Menace comes to mind).

Eugenia wrote on February 4th, 2007 at 1:14 AM PST:

Tom, it can be both. The fact that we like more space-like series does not mean than we don’t want the mystery too. It’s not a black or white choice.

tOnGAs wrote on February 5th, 2007 at 7:46 AM PST:

Future ain’t what it used to be. Seems nobody mentioned Farscape ? Or did this show never cross the ocean ?

Eugenia wrote on February 5th, 2007 at 8:27 AM PST:

Farscape was part of the “1-2 more than I can’t remember their titles right now.”