Cultural differences

I don’t exactly understand why westerners find it embarassing if kids stay with their parents after the age of 20-22. Greek kids usually leave for a few years after high-school to study in a college or university (and males have to leave home for military service too for at least two years). But when they come back, they (usually) move back to their parent’s home, even if they find a job in the meantime… Then, they get married and usually rent a house or they stay with the parents for a while if they have to wait for their house to get built (in Greece, building a house is prefered over buying an older house or apartment — outside Athens where there’s space to build that is).

Post a comment »

l3v1 wrote on December 4th, 2006 at 1:25 AM PST:

I also usually live with at my parents’ place, since it’s half way between my two workplaces, I’m not married, and well, I like being there. I usually just laugh on those who speak jokingly about people leaving at their parents’, it’s so stupid. Yet, nobody told me this in the face yet, it probably has something to do with me being somewhat tall and big hehh :)

l3v1 wrote on December 4th, 2006 at 1:26 AM PST:

Oh, and I don’t live in the US :P

Stefan wrote on December 4th, 2006 at 2:54 AM PST:

I think because in the anglo-saxon culture, the extended family is not so important as in Southern/Eastern Europe for example.

Jim wrote on December 4th, 2006 at 7:06 AM PST:

I believe military service is quite less than two years.

Eugenia wrote on December 4th, 2006 at 7:58 AM PST:

It was 18 months when I was in Greece last time, yeah.

Shelley wrote on December 4th, 2006 at 8:42 AM PST:

I don’t think it’s westerners in general. It seems to be more of a British/US thing. And less of a Southern European thing, as you indicate with your example of Greece. It seems like it’s not a problem in countries that are more “family-oriented.”

Optimus wrote on December 5th, 2006 at 3:48 AM PST:

I would understand now those persons who want safety by living with their parents (if they can live well among ;P). I don’t care. If I was in their position, I wouldn’t be shy about it, I would feel free to express that I like to live with my parents at that age. But looking around my place, usually most greek people HAVE to live with their parents till their 23-26 or even more. Because they still can’t find a proper job with enough money to make a living alone in Greece regardless they’ve finished their studies. And maybe I am one of them..

..but I found the solution. I am currently in the stupid army, and I have a cool job pending in UK started with friends. If I ever finish with the army, I’ll leave Greece totally and move to UK. You’ll know soon from my blog :)

Foreign people should know though that things are harder these days in greece for young people, our obsessive parents wanted us to study either laws, medicine or electro-mechanic engineering, and nothing else, because everyone once said these are to find a good job, but they don’t know things have changed. I know people who have finished laws for example and they struggle for 500 euros which are not enough, medicine takes a lot of time of studies and it’s unsure these days, only the electro-mechanic shit offers a lot of diferrent approaches, but wtf? There are parents oppressing childern to study that thing, childern want to go away, but you can’t go away without economical independecne, and many children (well not children, grown up 20-24+ years old :) have the dream to live alone away from parents, and I thought I was alone. I am hearing it around me, from friends of my friends, mostly people in Thessaloniki, several students are studying and living in their parents home and they hate it, they really want to go away. I don’t know what happens in Athens though :P

Optimus wrote on December 5th, 2006 at 3:50 AM PST:

In few words, we don’t want to. We HAVE to, till we find a proper job ;P