Apple’s iPhone yet one step closer.
Archive for October 31st, 2006
- When a convicted terrorist was sentenced to face Jack Bauer, he appealed to have the sentence reduced to death.
- The city of Los Angeles once named a street after Jack Bauer in gratitude for his saving the city several times. They had to rename it after people kept dying when they tried to cross the street. No one crosses Jack Bauer and lives.
- If Jack Bauer was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and Nina Meyers, and he had a gun with 2 bullets, he’d shoot Nina twice.
- Jack Bauer’s calender goes from March 31st to April 2nd, no one fools Jack Bauer.
- When 24 airs on the Spanish channel everyones lines are translated except for Jack’s. The reason for this, nobody speaks for Jack Bauer.
- Only Jack Bauer can fly a plane from the luggage compartment.
- There have been no terrorist attacks in United States since Jack Bauer has appeared on television.
- Jack Bauer sleeps with a pillow under his gun.
- When Kim Bauer lost her virginity, Jack Bauer found it and put it back.
- 1.6 billion Chinese are angry with Jack Bauer. Sounds like a fair fight.
- A standard deck now contains 48 cards. Too many people were getting hurt for trying to play Jack.
- Jack Bauer could strangle you with a cordless phone.
- Jack Bauer was never addicted to heroin. Heroin was addicted to Jack Bauer.
- Jack needed a well-earned holiday after season 5. Drugged, captured, beaten and tortured in a cargo hall surrounded by Chinese agents eager for revenge is just his preferred method of travel – otherwise he tends to get bored on long trips.
- Jack Bauer doesn’t have a firewall on his PC. He has a Bauerwall. It’s basically just a JPEG of Jack Bauer. No virus has ever attacked Jack Bauer’s PC. Ever.
- Tony was once shot in the neck, rushed to the hospital, underwent emergency surgery and was back on the job in just a few hours. Jack Bauer still can’t believe that pussy went to the hospital first.
- Jack Bauer doesn’t speak any foreign languages, but he can make any foreigner speak English in a matter of minutes.
- The truth may hurt, but it doesn’t hurt as much as Jack Bauer.
- Don’t ever ask Jack Bauer what is going on. He’ll explain in the car.
- Jack Bauer teaches a course at Harvard entitled: “Time Management: Making the Most Out Of Each Day.”
- Jack Bauer has never caught a cold. How do we know? Colds still exist.
- The “Smoothie” was invented when Jack Bauer needed information from a banana.
- If Jack Bauer saw a terrorist reaching for a bomb to blow himself up, Jack would shoot the bomb first. Nobody steals a kill from Jack Bauer.
- Quentin Tarantino was asked to direct a biography about Jack Bauer. He passed. It was too violent.
- The Black Eyed Peas were just The Peas until Jack Bauer heard their music.
- Jack Bauer went out to the desert, and was bitten by a rattlesnake. The snake died.
- If you’re holding a gun to Jack Bauer’s head, don’t count to three before you shoot. Count to 10. That way, you get to live 7 seconds longer.
- When Jack Bauer was a child, he made his mother finish her vegetables.
- People with amnesia still remember Jack Bauer.
- Once Jack Bauer becomes governor of California, Mexico will have an immigration problem.
- Jack Bauer has been to Mars. That’s why there’s no life on Mars.
- Jack Bauer could get off the Lost island in 24 hours.
More facts here.
I find phone rates in US really high and the fact that carriers are trying to lock you in with ugly contracts and on-purpose crippled phones does not make it any better. I wish there was an MNVO that leases airtime off Cingular and had no contracts but instead an easy to understand “pay as you go” system that isn’t featureless. This is what I would like to see:
- You don’t have to refill your credit for up to 1 year.
- Free 1-to-1 (the user can select a single person where all calls are “to” and “from” completely free)
- $0.15 (USD) per minute for voice calls
- $1 per 1 MB for GPRS data transfer (configuration details to be found on web site)
- $0.05 per SMS via GSM (GPRS rates apply for SMS via GPRS)
- Standard GPRS prices for MMS messages (up to 300 KB) (conf details on web site)
- $1.00 per minute for EDGE/UMTS video calls (configuration details on web site)
- $0.10 per PTT per minute (configuration details on web site)
- Standard GPRS prices for IM (Wireless Village server with Jabber backend configured to also support GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, AIM, MSN and Y!) (configuration details on web site)
- $0.35 for Canada voice calls per minute (with no rounding of minutes).
- $0.35 for Mexico voice calls per minute (with no rounding of minutes).
- $1.00 for all other international calls per minute (with no rounding of minutes).
- An additional $25 per month for 2 GBs (supposedly “unlimited”) of GPRS data (either via the handset or laptop).
No free phones are given to customers. Customers are free to choose and buy any GSM unlocked phone. The company can only suggest handsets that appear to be fully compatible with all the extended services offered (e.g. IM or PTT).
You would notice that I don’t give a flat rate for MMS messages but –as they technically should be– the price is dependent to GPRS prices. This will make people be more careful about the sizes of videos and graphics they send out too. A max sized MMS at 300 KBs would cost $0.30 while a small MMS at 30KBs it would cost instead $0.03. You should only pay what you actually used. If the user is also an “unlimited” (2GBs) GPRS transfer subscriber, then all MMS messages would be essentially free.
Honestly, I believe that these prices and services are very easily doable by any carrier, but they are so greedy and they don’t want to deal with “unsupported” phones that they offer really mediocre services. My current plan for example, which is Cingular’s Pay As You Go (I refuse to sign a contract), costs $10 per 1 MBs of data transfer, $1 additional for every day you use the phone, no PTT, no video calls, no IM, expires every 3 months, minute-rounding on international calls makes me pay a lot, and it resizes all my MMSes down to 4 KBs! It sucks.
Just like when Google came along and they changed the face of webmail or search, I pray that a company with guts can deliver such a service.