Nokia: bloody idiotic bugs

God darn it, I am so pissed off at Nokia again. I made a report in the past about this issue but now they have ported the latest version of their S40 browser to S60 (that’s the “Services” browser), but the bug is STILL there. So basically, I had a perfectly functioning Services browser on my E61, then I upgraded the firmware to the latest stable one, and now the “100% width” bug has been carried through from S40 to S60. I hate Nokia for that. How the hell is it possible to release a browser to the wild that its table widths are completely screwed up? Both osnews.com and gnomefiles.org render like shit now on the Services browser and a quick change to use CSS styling instead of the HTML width tag, did NOT fix the problem. The problem is that the browser does not know what “100% width” really is (happens on tables that have lots of text in them). It has a bug in the way it calculates the actual width of the screen (in either ’small screen’ or ‘original’ screen mode), a bug that was introduced with the release of the S40 3rd Edition platform.

Yes, I know that all future Nokia S60 devices won’t include the S40 “Services” browser anymore (they will only include WebKit), but the problem is that there are MILLIONS of users out there right now with these broken browser versions. WHAT THE HELL am I supposed to do about these users? We have HUNDRENDS of hits on osnews daily from Nokia users! And no, moving 100% to CSS is not a solution for our mobile version because that means that we leave out a large portion of our mobile users without proper mobile support, as the vast majority of embedded and mobile browsers don’t support CSS yet. I am definitely not going to create a yet another special version of osnews just for Nokia browsers (neither it’s possible to distinguish from the user agent between the ‘Services’ browsers 2.x and 3.x in order to autodetect and optimize for each). All I ask is for Nokia to fix the damn bug immediately because it’s a very embrarassing one!

UPDATE: I now try to somewhat autodetect the Services browser (even if it’s not the buggy 3.x version) and when such a browser hits osnews.com I don’t specify a width=”100%” on the tables and their cells. While this makes things a tiny bit better, it does NOT fix the problem completely (and it might even create problems to the Services 2.x version). Here’s the PHP code:

$agent = getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT");
if (preg_match("/Nokia/i", $agent))
{
if (!preg_match("/WebKit/i", $agent) && !preg_match("/Opera/i", $agent) && !preg_match("/UP.Browser/i", $agent) && !preg_match("/Netfront/i", $agent) && !preg_match("/Doris/i", $agent) && !preg_match("/Nokia-Communicator-WWW-Browser/i", $agent))
{ $Browser = "Nokia-Services"; }
}
if ($Browser!="Nokia-Services") { echo "width=100%"; }

Nokia engineers, if you are reading this, because of my newly implemented hack above, osnews.com is not your best test site to reproduce the bug (although the bug still exists on some tables there). Please go to GnomeFiles.org instead to fully reproduce the bug and hopefully fix it.

Comments are closed as this blog post is now archived.

Lines, paragraphs break automatically. HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

The URI to TrackBack this blog entry is this. And here is the RSS 2.0 for comments on this post.