Religions are so OUT

Fanatic muslims make such a big bruhaha over Pope’s statements these days. Who the hell cares what the Pope says or what did he really meant? In fact, their reaction only empowers these 14th Century quotes that Pope spoke of in the first place. The muslim spiritual leaders should have sent a letter to Pope to express any dissatisfaction about his speech and then try and contain their faithful to just stay put. That’s what true religious leaders should do, not to have them in the frontline and push their faithful to ridiculous accusations and even more reactionary actions. Right now, I blame these muslim spiritual leaders for not containing violence rather than the Pope who started it all.

You know, that’s why I don’t give a f*ck about any religion. Religion (any religion as an institution) is sickness. It creates fanatism, divides and blinds people in order the “institution” around them gets richer and more powerful.

No religion can give me a real, rational, understandable answer to these questions: what is soul? What is God and what is He made of? What is a spirit and what is spirituality? Why isn’t God talking to us more often if He is all powerful?

There are no real answers to these questions. Instead, most religions have Dogmas that you have to accept without hesitation or second thought, and under some religions that practice mysticism you might get yourself in trance and then tell you “you just experienced God”. My ass.

As a human being of the 21st Century, I do not accept Dogmas. Everything must have a scientific (or at least, rational) explanation. If not, then it’s just superstition in my book and a way to lock-in “customers” (see: faithful).

How do I know that there is no God? Easy. If there was a God(s), ALL humans on the planet would worship the SAME God(s). From the moment we have forks on the same religion or completely different religions, it is obvious that nothing like an all-powerful entity exists and that it’s all politics and made-up by humans. Christians say that God gave “freedom” to humans to believe whatever they want, but that’s just bullsh*t. If there was clear-cut evidence that there is a God, there would not be any religion forks, from fear alone.

For me, “religion” should just be a guidance to a righteous way of life. No Gods, no angels, no demons, no dogmas. Just a guidance on how to become better people and help others and help our society evolve and grow the right way. And that’s the only reason why I still classify myself as an agnostic and not as an atheist. I believe that humans “need” a kind of religion (it’s part of our… ROM to believe in something). Just make this “something” a behavior code rather than supernatural crap. If you ask me “how do you feel about Jesus Christ” I would reply that “I love him”. But I love him just because he gives me moral guidance in my life and his teachings made sense (well, most of it), not because I accept him as the Son of God, or as a Prophet or anything like that.

I do not make fun of people who see ghosts, angels or demons though. While in most cases there is a better explanation than the one they give, I don’t rule out the (scientific) possibility that lifeforms from another dimension might be able to get through to ours sometimes. The String Theory has shown us that there are 11 dimensions and there is no reason why one (or more) of them might contain other kinds of lifeforms and some of them might be “good” and some might be “violent”. But I definitely won’t explain these experiences via 2,000+ year old superstitions. They are cheesy, at best.

And I do not make fun of people who say that they have experienced a miracle. When the human brain truly believes in something, it can become so fixated that can heal wounds, or heal others or even not feel pain under torture. This is the only thing that I envy from the faithful people: their ability through “faith” to overcome natural laws. But again, I don’t give any supernatural explanation to these happenings, science will eventually crack those too. The last few years scientists have made good progress on proving that telepathy is possible, for example. The human brain has lots of scientific surprises for us still.

Refer to this previous post of mine on more about how I choose to satisfy the part of my… firmware that needs to believe in something.

Post a comment »

Michael wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 1:23 AM PST:

I completely agree. There is something about Buddhism that attracts me though… That is real Theravada Buddhism and not Western Hippy Buddhism, btw.

Eugenia wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 6:18 AM PST:

>Mostly, science does not explain feelings!

Science CAN explain feelings. They are simply chemical reactions. What more do you need to know or do about them?

mikesum32 wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 6:30 AM PST:

Do messages have to be approved now ? Mine isn’t showing up.

mikesum32 wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 6:35 AM PST:

On hypnosis, see Penn and Teller’s show Bullshit.

It’s on google video with just about all the rest of the shows

The reason for stage magic (people acting stupid) is because of “group think” or “everyone else is doing it” not some magic power. If everyone else is doing it you won’t be as embarassed. Singling one person out might not work as well as 10 people. It’s acting.

It can’t make people do something against thier will, like kill a person.

mikesum32 wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 6:40 AM PST:

What is going on ? I can’t post the rest of my comment? Is there a limit to number of characters or plain text urls ?

mikesum32 wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 6:41 AM PST:

This is similar to when I was “saved” at church camp as a teenager.

Everyone else was doing it(consensual influence/stage hypnosis i.e. I wasn’t opposed to it), plus a little “brain washing” and I was saved.

I mean they locked us up and played hymns and we sang for a long time, some songs over and over and everyone was crying and praying.

It’s the same with faith healing and speaking in tongues, even if they are being scammed, they still might believe it’s real.

Also the same with “Chi” punches that master martial artists use. I saw something I’m not sure if it was Penn and Teller, but anyway it doesn’t work on non believers because it’s just influence and expectation.

Eugenia wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 7:17 AM PST:

Yes, there is antispam thing if too many slashes or urls are posted. Please submit your comment only ONCE. If the anti-spam software catches it, it will send it to my email and then I can authorize. Just do it only once.

Apotheosis wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 9:04 AM PST:

There is a world of difference between religion and spiritualism. What you mention that you envy, is spiritualism I think. You can have the most devout person, if all they do is follow the dogmas of the church (any church), then it is just like playing ‘follow the leader’ (just like politics!).

Spiritualism, on the other hand, helps a person grow, self criticise, look for answers. Call it a scientist of the soul.

Eugenia wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 9:11 AM PST:

Yeah, problem is, I don’t believe in the existance of “souls”. And spiritualism does not have any real explanation of what it is either.

No, what I envy is the faith itself. It doesn’t matter if someone is a blind faithful or an “awaken” spiritualist. The faith itself, the strong belief on something, puts the brain into a state that it can do incredible things.

Thom Holwerda wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 9:46 AM PST:

What I find the funniest part about religion is this: whenever something good happens to people, it’ s god’s (lower-case ‘g’) doing. Whenever something bad happens, it’s the devil and god has nothing to do with it.

Whether a god exists or not is irrelevant. All we know is that as soon as secularisation started kicking in, major scientific breakthroughs were made, and the West became prosperous.

Do the math.

Ricardo Ramalho wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 10:34 AM PST:

Religion is, from a certain point of view, a way to explain things we can’t explain. But we all need something to hold-on to sometimes. That’s another point of view.

We all have an emotional part, and we must feed it somehow! Some people (most of it, actually) rely on religion(s).

You can’t explain everything in a rational way. You just can’t. Feelings are NOT rational, as isn’t faith. Faith is just something you feel, it’s not rationally explainable.

As for the Pope’s speech, most media was intellectually dishonest! Taking words out of context is dishonest… Media created this “event”. Media needs those headlines and just won’t care about the problems that might arise afterwards. It’s pure dishonesty!

Thom: when something good or bad happens it’s allways god’s will. At least in the catholic church.

Science is rational… Faith is emotional… Do you know what? We all need both things! Science never gave me piece of mind. Some faith did.

Just my two (Euro) cents! ;)

Ricardo Ramalho wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 10:38 AM PST:

Oh… and i forgot! Faith’s just faith… It’s not “in” or “out”. :)

Eugenia wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 10:50 AM PST:

Thom Holwerda wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 10:53 AM PST:

In The Netherlands, an entirely ‘new’ religion is coming up– and science is only a small part of it.

This new religion has been called “Iets-isme” (”Something-ism”), and literally means what it says: people say they believe in “something” but don’t know what, or don’t know how to word it properly. This is majorly on the rise over here.

Eugenia wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 11:15 AM PST:

>people say they believe in “something” but don’t know what

What the heck are you talking about?

Thom Holwerda wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 11:38 AM PST:

Exactly what I am saying. When you ask these people what they believe in… If they believe in god or whatever, they say: “no, I don’t believe in god, but there is something… I just don’t know what.” They do not support any religion, but they do there’s ’something more’ between heaven and earth.

According to recent polls, 40% (!) of the Dutch can be considered supporters of “Somethingism”.

Ricardo Ramalho wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 11:38 AM PST:

Science ain’t a religion and cannot fill your emotional part. When you’re really sad what do you rely on? Do you call your friends? And what if they can’t help you or hear you? Do you just start running wildly down the street? Do you call your loved-one? What if you don’t have a loved one?

I don’t go to church on Sundays, i don’t talk to priest, i don’t read the Bible. And i don’t feel that i need that! But let me tell you a little story: six years ago my father was with a cancer; only a surgery, a very complicated one, could save him. I was very nervous, didn’t know where to hold. Did i pray? No… But i left the hospital and went to a nearby church, in the middle of the day, and just sat there. Two and a half hours, alone in silence. Just having one thing: faith! Nothing more! Everything went “ok” and he is fine. Is it god’s work/will/whatever? I just don’t know! But that thing just brought me one other thing: some peace of mind during those dark hours.

What could science bring me in those hours? Science just explained me that he *could* be ok. Just that…

Come on! Science cannot explain everything. Mostly, science does not explain feelings! Faith doesn’t either, but at least gives you something to hold on to.

Apotheosis wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 11:41 AM PST:

Soul, shmoul, one can call it whatever they want. For me, spiritualism is taking care what my brain cannot take care.

To make my views a bit more clear, I am not into any religion (though, just like you I presume, was raised as a christian orthodox) and I have a hard time with the term ‘god’. But I do not subscribe in the pure scientists’ ‘manifesto’ either. What we do not know, does not necessarily mean that it does not exist. Some relative few years ago, people did not know what electricity was, yet it still existed around them. It was up to scientists who had the curiosity and belief that there is something, to actually discover it. (With this example, I am not comparing to god or religion, mind you).

I think when a person has both, somehow they can achieve more.

Michael wrote on September 19th, 2006 at 12:15 PM PST:

>Religions are seriously on the way out. More and more people are becoming agnostics or even atheists. I don’t expect many hard core fanatics to exist in 100 years, anywhere in the world. Some religious people will still exist, but for most people, science will be their “faith”.

I wish. I don’t see it disappearing in North America or the Islamic world. At least any time soon.

People’s faith only becomes an annoyance to me when their faith begins to contradict plain truths. Re: Genesis Literalism.

That said, faith in science alone didn’t cut it for me. I still believe in it though.

I’m glad I found something a whole lot less crazy and something a lot less empty (for me). Tantric (of which Tibetan is a sub-group) and
New Age Buddhism do such a diservice in that regard. It’s basically Shamanism.