Apple iTunes 7 Draws Complaints

Problems posted on Apple discussion forums include sound distortion, songs skipping, 3-second delays in playing tunes, and lost tracks. The company hasn’t yet responded to or commented on these issues.”

Well, let me add some of my own:
1. VGA video in previews drops frames. Quicktime is able to playback the same videos just fine, but inside iTunes the preview functionality now is terrible. I don’t remember it being that bad before inside iTunes.
2. Occasionally, a 30 second video preview would just stop playing back in a random spot (the page refreshes all by itself going back to the non-previewed state even if the video hasn’t finished playing back).
3. Some videos don’t have previews, even if there is a “preview” button (e.g. the two live Madonna video clips)
4. If you go to R&B/Sould/Beyonce/MusicVideos/A-Video and then you click the “music videos” tab, it gets you back to the front page of the store instead of the requested page. This happens for ALL artists.
5. On my “Movies” library it shows a bunch of Quicktime files that don’t exist on my hard drive anymore. How do you clean these up all at once? I never used iTunes to put these files there in the first place, iTunes decided to add them in its library all by itself, but now it won’t refresh itself.
6. Apparently, the new version uses a lot more RAM. And requires even more CPU power. It almost brings my 3 GHz P4 to its knees, depending on the function.
7. EACH time I click the “close” button on the iTunes main window, iTunes crashes. This was not happening with the older version.

Post a comment »

Someone Else wrote on September 15th, 2006 at 9:44 AM PST:

I dont have any of these issues at all.


This is the admin speaking...
Eugenia wrote on September 15th, 2006 at 9:46 AM PST:

Oh, really? So you have actually tried points 3 and 4? I don’t think so. So, don’t be so absolute.


memson wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 1:09 AM PST:

Me either. The only issue I have had (on two machines – 1 a Dell optiplex (?) with a 2Ghz P4 and 768MB RAM, The other a Dell Latitude C610 with a P3 1,2GHz and 512 MB RAM) is that the iPod updated refused to update my firmware. Which, um, kind of defeats the object ;-)

I have tonnes of video on my iPod – it’s an iPod video.

To be honest, iTunes 6.05 was quite buggy in places. It used to lock up and crash.

I’ll try playing some video from the iPod… my main library is on my work machine as it has USB2.


memson wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 1:12 AM PST:

Oh… this is the Windows version. I don’t have a Mac capable of running anything past iTunes 4 (Jaguar is the best OS the G3 does.)

Are you using Windows formating or Mac? Windows has always been fine for me so far.


This is the admin speaking...
Eugenia wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 1:23 AM PST:

I am using Windows. I insist, test point 3 & 4 which are easily reproducible.


memson wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 1:27 AM PST:

Okay… video streams from the iPod over USB 1.1 flawlessly using iTunes built in quicktime. No dropped frames, sound in sync. And as well as having OS X running under PearPC at the same time with 128MB of RAM.

Apple have also fixed one of the most annoying bugs I used to find with the ipod. I would only charge when mounted in iTunes or as a mass storage device. So therefore you couldn’t listen to it and charge it with out buying a charger. It now charges whilst attached without being mounted at all.

Now if only I hadn’t aborted the gapless play thing because it was after 6pm and I wanted to go home!! I’ll have to figure out how to get it to do that on my home machine somehow.


This is the admin speaking...
Eugenia wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 1:34 AM PST:

>ideo streams from the iPod over USB 1.1 flawlessly

I am talking about their PREVIEW videos on iTunes STORE, nothing to do with the iPod.


memson wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 1:42 AM PST:

3) All my video is on the iPod. The iPod works fine for streaming.

4) I don’t use the music store, so I’m not bothered… plus the music store is regional.

However… I just went to the Music Store, selected R&B, Selected B-Day by Beyonce, went back a level to “r&b/soul > Beyonce” and selected a video. Streamed the preview – which played back badly, but like I said, I’m running a memory/processor intensive app as well as iTunes.

So in the UK store, point 4 is not valid.

As for point 3… pearpc is taking up 80 – 90% of RAm so that one will have to wait (installing developer tools..)


memson wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 1:47 AM PST:

> I am talking about their PREVIEW videos on iTunes STORE,
> nothing to do with the iPod.

Well, if that is all you’re complaining about… lol. The music store is where I subscribe to podcasts. I really don’t give a rats ass about music video previews. It is so insignificant to be an absolute non issue. It’s probably just server band width on Apple’s part. Just like when the keynote from the WWDC was pput up.. I viewed it a few weeks after it went up without any problem. At the time though, eberyone was trying to get it and no one was having much success apparently. You got to be more pragmatic. Give it a few days until the novelty wears off ;-)


This is the admin speaking...
Eugenia wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 1:52 AM PST:

No, it is not a bandwidth issue. It is a playback issue. And I do expect the Music Store to work perfectly.


memson wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 5:21 AM PST:

> It is a playback issue.

No it is not. As stated previously:

1) I mount my iPod
2) I select “movies”
3) I hit “play”

My movies then play flawlessly in an iTunes video window. Ergo, the video playback is fine. This is playing back FROM MY IPOD streaming over USB 1.1. There’s no skipping, no frames dropped and the audio is in sync.

You are talking about previews in the Apple Music Store that are being streamed over the Net. The important part HAS to be the STREAMING OVER THE NET part. Add to that that they only released the 7.0 update, like, yesterday. Everyone is hitting their servers hard. How can you not see that?


memson wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 5:24 AM PST:

> And I do expect the Music Store to work perfectly.

NOTHING works properly all of the time. The fact that OSNews is/was forever getting database connection errors recently proves that.


This is the admin speaking...
Eugenia wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 6:35 AM PST:

>1) I mount my iPod

Will you bloody stop talking about your iPod? I don’t have an iPod Video! I just want the previews to work properly! And as I said, this is NOT a streaming problem! NOT A STREAMING PROBLEM, put that in your skull. This is a drop frame problem, not a buffering issue.

>The fact that OSNews is/was forever getting database connection errors recently

You are wrong. OSNews WAS getting db connections because of the buggy version of mySQL that Red Hat Linux Enterprise was shipping with. We have upgraded the DB 6 months ago and since then we had ZERO problems.


memson wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 7:44 AM PST:

> Will you bloody stop talking about your iPod? I don’t
> have an iPod Video! I just want the previews to work
> properly! And as I said, this is NOT a streaming problem!
> NOT A STREAMING PROBLEM, put that in your skull. This is
> a drop frame problem, not a buffering issue.

Oh right… because you’re using Quicktime embeded in iTunes via the Music store and I’m using Quicktime embeded in iTunes… such a different situation. You imply QT is at fault.. I say it is not.

>You are wrong.

Oh, right. SO when it happened about a month ago I was dreaming?


This is the admin speaking...
Eugenia wrote on September 16th, 2006 at 8:06 AM PST:

>You imply QT is at fault..

NO. I imply that iTunes is at fault, not QT. Playing videos or streaming on QT is just fine.


This is the admin speaking...
Eugenia wrote on September 17th, 2006 at 2:15 AM PST:

It plays your iPod videos correctly, not the streamed ones in the Music Store. It just drop frames for those, even if this is not a bandwidth issue or transfer rate.


memson wrote on September 17th, 2006 at 12:46 PM PST:

> NO. I imply that iTunes is at fault, not QT.
> Playing videos or streaming on QT is just fine.

Eh? So, iTunes plays back my videos correctly… what does that mean then?


Comments are closed as this blog post is now archived.

Lines, paragraphs break automatically. HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

The URI to TrackBack this blog entry is this. And here is the RSS 2.0 for comments on this post.