Regarding swearing

There were 3 teenage boys in our apartment complex’s pool this afternoon and they were having quite some fun chasing and pushing each other to the water. They were making lots of noise and being a person who likes quiet (especially in siesta times and in the night), I didn’t appreciate this. But given the fact that USA doesn’t have a law for being quiet during siesta times like Greece does, I simply awaited for them to get bored and leave the pool soon enough.

At some point, they were having so much fun chasing one of the boys that he started shouting while running around “oh, shit… oh, shit…”. An old lady from an apartment close to the pool then shouted at them: “please stop swearing or I will ask the management to throw you out”.

Now, this is where I have a problem with. You see, I don’t mind most common swearing. Saying things like “oh, sh*t”, or “what the f*ck is this?”, or “f*ck this sh*t” I don’t see any problem with it. They are not polite expressions, but they are certainly expressions that express better than any other discomfort about something. Things only get bad if you are swearing at someone specifically and not at a souless thing (except maybe a “kiss my ass”, which in my book can accurately express dismay towards a real asshole).

Personally, I swear like a truck driver in english (not directly at other people, mostly at things and situations), while I don’t swear much in Greek.. One of the reasons for this is because Greek swearings are truly insulting (even the “common” ones). The US swearings don’t hold water against the Greek ones. And this is why I don’t feel bad for swearing in english. Because I have heard worse and have a high point of measurement as to how bad language can become.

Post a comment »

Thom Holwerda wrote on July 25th, 2006 at 1:46 AM PST:

Swearing is healthy. As always, it is all about moderation. And, of course, being properly raised so you know when you can swear, and when you cannot.

I swear as if my life depends on it. However, mostly when I’m alone, or with close friends. Never when I’m in a public space, never when I’m talking to people I do not know very well, etc.

Tom Dison wrote on July 25th, 2006 at 9:05 AM PST:

Flame On!

I believe swearing is a mild form of violence. I believe there are times when it is appropriate, but they are few and far between.

Flame Off!

mikesum32 wrote on July 25th, 2006 at 9:10 AM PST:

“But given the fact that USA doesn’t have a law for being quiet during siesta times…”

Given the fact most Americans don’t siesta, well, there you go.

Ricardo Ramalho wrote on July 25th, 2006 at 10:58 AM PST:

Can i just say “lol” ? ;) Swearing is the coolest way to express some common feelings. So why bother saying “shit” in a polite way? It doesn’t throw out your anger/happiness!

Saying “bollocks” isn’t the same thing as saying “shit”. There’s a nice Portuguese journal column that describes exactly what you feel, but with *real* examples. I could translate it, but it’s way too long and most swearings do not have a direct translation to English…

🙂

Hornett wrote on July 26th, 2006 at 1:25 AM PST:

The problem with allowing the “oh shit oh shit” type of usage as a day to day part of the language is that gradually the meanings get erroded away until they are useless.

At least in England, “fuck” is now just a generic fill in word for a lot of people – the only truely effective word left IMHO is the useful “c*nt”.

🙂

mikesum32 wrote on July 27th, 2006 at 1:00 AM PST:

Hornett

When old swear world fall out of favor, new ones will surely come along.

Tom Dison

Quit being a damn dirty hippie. Fucktard !

Since you believe swearing is a mild form of violence: I just assaulted you with my mouth.

Flame Back On!