Eurovision winner won fairly

So, some guys from Finland dressed like demons and playing hard rock won the Eurovision contest. Russians said that they should have been the winners. I personally disagree. The Finnish won fair and square. They had a better song and they pushed buttons with their appearance. Being eccentric sells and certainly voters were craving for that. Eurovision all these years resembled the boring lalala songs like the ones performed in American Idol. BORING. And Lordi changed that. Good for them!

However, my personal favorite song from the contest was the Romanian one. A very nice dance pop song, which was not only much better than the boy-band-boring Russian song, but also its singer could sing some very high notes. Update: I was right, even if I know very little about technicalities in music. Apparently, his bio on Eurovision explicity states that “Mihai Traistariu’s voice can reach five octaves and one third.” That’s more than what most tenors can do.

As for the Greek song, it was a so-so song, and it could have been in the top-5 instead of the No9 it finished, if Anna Vissi had a better english accent. For crying out loud Anna, if you want to sing in english, LEARN to not sound so horrible with this strong Greek/Cypriot accent of yours, where all the “R”s are so RRRRRrrrrr. Yuk!

Post a comment »

Thom Holwerda wrote on May 21st, 2006 at 11:39 AM PST:

As a music lover, I detest the Eurovision song festival. It is, just like Idols (across the pond it’s called American Idol), a complete farce. It has little, if anything, to do with music.

That does not mean I do not like this result. This result actually proves how unimportant the music is! Appearence is everything.

Fcuk that shit.

Eugenia wrote on May 22nd, 2006 at 1:29 AM PST:

>So you can always see the following underlying patterns

This was always the case, it’s not a new thing. Always Greece votes for Cyprus and Turkey for example, even if their songs are not good. I guess it happens the same for all other countries and their neighbours.

memson wrote on May 22nd, 2006 at 10:23 AM PST:

but it has got way worse over the last 4 or 5 years.

memson wrote on May 22nd, 2006 at 12:47 PM PST:

Firstly… the voting this year was suspect. so many countries not in the contest getting a say is weird. Especially with the highly tactical voting that has been happening for years, but seriously got worse since they allowed all of the eastern block in. So you can always see the following underlying patterns – even when a song like Finland is so strong:

Scandinavians vote for scandinavians. This includes Estonia, who always vote for Finland.

Moldova always vote for Romania and vice versa.

The former Yugoslavian states always vote for each other.

The Russians and Ukrainians. Lithuanians, Latvians and Estonians. There is way too much cross border poliferation!!

Being in the UK (sorry about the crap we tried to pass off as a song – the backing vocalists had more talent that Daz..lol and they were pretty crappy..) we get venerable Irish presenter Terry Wogan doing our commentary. He is absolutely hilarious. We usually watch the contest to hear his witty piss takes and put downs of the acts. Terry gets infuriated by the tactical voting.

Anyway, the correct band won, but the Lithuanians were my second choice ;-)

Oh, and who let Las Ketchup out of their box? What were they thinking????

Optimus wrote on May 23rd, 2006 at 12:20 PM PST:

I am really curious to know how much effect in the final results had the site votelordi.org. Not that Lordi couldn’t have won on their own, but it surprises me how much power such internet manifests can have. It’s the first time I’ve voted for a Eurovision song (And I also put my second vote on the Lithuanian band ;) and so was it for several of my friends, metalheads or regular people who disliked Eurovision. It’s still questionable how much right it is that people who don’t like Eurovision decide to manipulate the results in that way just for the sake of it, nevertheless it was fun for me :)

Weeks before I discovered the votelordi site, there was another thing that caught my attention about Lordi. This text made me thinking really seriously about voting them! Now I would be happy to see how much pissed those stupid protesters will be now!!!

The best Eurovision ever! =)

Optimus wrote on May 23rd, 2006 at 12:37 PM PST: